Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 NC star, Leapers and AIM >

NC star, Leapers and AIM

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

NC star, Leapers and AIM

Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Default NC star, Leapers and AIM

Well I went to a local gun show today and got to check out some of these scopes. My impression, right up there with BSA and Barska, maybe. They look cool and all, but I wouldn't put one on a 1500 dollar AR or a varmint/sniper rig. Maybe if you wanted to trick out an airsoft rifle or a .22. I wouldn't put one on a pellet gun though, because a spring air would probably rip one of these apart.

Some of them looked ok on lower powers, but when you turned them up all I can say is EWWW. And that was indoors with good lighting. luckily there were not many good quality scopes around for someone to compare them too.

My opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NC star, Leapers and AIM

NC Star and Leapers are trash. Never heard of AIM.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM

I never had either until I went to that show. Probably a reason for it too.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

What gets me is somebody can come on here and ask about a "NC Star" or "Barska" or another one of the cheap scopes and about 90% will give an honest "its junk" answer. Then four or five days later they get back on here and announce "I bought a new NC Star (or Barska), how do ya'll like them?"
Old 09-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have used an NC star on a 243 for a couple of years now. I have found it to be a pretty nice quality scope. It is fairly bright and clear and has never had a problem with a shifting zero. I would have no problem buying one again.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Spike

avoid NCStar and Barska as far as you can. They are dumping low quality optics everywhere.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

This is my one problem with this forum. Everyone just sayssomething is bad or this brand is the best thing since salted butter,but very few people give any of their experience with the products they talk about. I may have gotten the only good NC Star scope made,but I can say that I have used one for three seasons and it has met every expectation. I do not compare it to a $800.00 scope,but then again I shouldn't.I would have been happy with the scope quality at twice the price.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM

I have actually owned several BSA scopes and some Barska scopes as well. I really never had any problems with function on either of them, but the optics were pretty poor compared to scopes that don't cost much more. You are normally better off with less features and better optics for the same amount of money.

Paul