Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42 >

Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42

Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42

Yeah, that is a mouthful but it is worth it.

I wanted to start spreading the word about a new binocular to hit the market. For those of you that know me fairly well I am a bit of a binocuholic. In other words I buy and sell alot of binoculars. One of my most recent acquisitions is the previously mentioned Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42.

I had been given the opportunity to evaluate this binocular in a bit of "blind test". All markings (company name, specs, etc..) were removed from the extrerior of the binocular. It was just flat black rubber armor with a little golden-colored ring around the focusing knob. This was done to help with any preconceived biases based on brand names.

Here are the specs/attributes:[*]Power: 8X[*]Objective Lens Diameter: 42mm[*]Type of Prism: BAK4[*]Roof Prism Coating: Silver and phase coated[*]Number of Lens: 8 elements in 6 groups[*]Body Construction: Magnesium Alloy[*]Objective Glass: Extra Low Dispersion (ED)[*]Lens Coating: TRANSBRIGHT™, REPELLAMAX™, and full broadband multicoatings[*]Focus System: Internal center focusing[*]Exit Pupil Diameter: 5.2mm[*]Eye Relief: 17.2mm[*]Field of View: 7.5° - 393 ft. @ 1000 yds.[*]Minimum Focusing Distance: 6.56’/2M[*]Diopter System: Left eyepiece - ±3[*]Waterproof: 1.5m for 3 minutes[*]Weatherproof: Nitrogen filled fog proof[*]Weight: 27.48 oz.

When you start running down the list of characteristics this binocular has it is pretty impressive...

Fully Multicoated lenses...check
Phase Coated roof prisms...check
Silver Coated roof prisms....check
Full Waterproof....check
Wide field of view....check
Water/dirt repellant coating....check
Long eye relief....check
Close focusing....check
ED glass objectives....check
No Fault Lifetime warranty...check

Take that and compare it with other roof prism glasses on the market. There are several that match the features but their prices are in the $1000 range and up. Only the Vortex Razor comes close to matching everything and it still sells for around $800.

Here are my impressions of the binocular's various characteristics:

Apparent Sharpness/Brightness:

This binocular is exceptionally sharp for several reasons. One the silver and phase coated roof prisms reflect alot of light stimulating more receptors in your eye. This not only makes the image brighter but also sharper. Second, the use of ED (low dispersion) glass in the objective lenses reduces color fringing on high contrast objectives. Images are and appear sharper because there is less scattered light. All colors of the spectrum are focused to the same point of focus creating a noticeably sharper image. Third, all the lenses are fully multicoated meaning that there is more than onelayer of antireflective coatings on each lense surface. This, too, helps to transmit more light to your eyes.

Color:

Color accuracy is extremely neutral. I will say it other times in this post but this binocular's image reminds me very much of the Zeiss FL. The color representation is neither warm nor cold but actually very similar to that which you see with your own eyes.

Distortions/Aberrations/Size of the "sweet spot":

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, a binocular's "sweet spot" refers to the size of the image free from any type of distortions or "fuzziness" for lack of a more common term. This binocular's sweet spot is again very similar to that of the Zeiss FL. About 60% of the image is very sharp. The next 20% is reasonably sharp but there is a slight degradation of the image compared to the center 60%. The outer 20% is noticeably blurred however, the entire field of view is very "flat" giving the impression that the sweet spot is much wider than it actually is. This helps greatly when viewing large areas in search of game.

Focusing:

This binocular has a focus with a moderate speed level. It takes about 2 and a half turns of the focus wheel to go from close focus to infiniti. For this binocular I believe this to be quite an asset as it allows you to really fine tune the image to image so that you can get it as sharp as possible.

These are some of the binoculars key points that I wanted to share. The reason I am posting this at all is because I am very enthusiastic about this binocular's performance not only at its respective price but against some of the most expensive binoculars out there. This binocular is extremely sharp and bright with a wide field of view and very good handling. I have actually compared it directly to three Swarovski binoculars, a Zeiss and several other models from various manufacturers. I am not exaggerating when I say the optical performance is in the same range as some of the "big guns". For those of you that remember what a big step forward the Nikon Monarchs were four or five years ago (and still are somewhat today) then this binocular could be the next jump forward in the price versus performance curve.

It is new on the market so you aren't going to see much in reference to it. The "mystery glass" thread over on 24hourcampfire was in reference to this binocular. Everyone that has tried it so far has really had some positive things to say about it.

I just wanted to get the word out to my fellow HNIers so some of you could give it a try. You will be impressed.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default RE: Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42

Hi PA, thanks for posting this excellent review. I am sure some people wonder about what kind of warranty these binoculars have, do you know? Most hunters will pay $400-$500 for a scope but will only pay $50 to $100 for binoculars.
Regards,Steve
Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike

A good friend of mine sent me his Promaster Infiniti Elite ELX ED 8x42 geez what a nameand I must say I agree with PA on this binocular.This binocular has No-Fault warranty."free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as the product is owned by the original purchaser" "accidental damage" also covered. You do need copy of original receipt and binocular must be purchased from authorized Promaster dealer.
Regards,Steve
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry I did not reply sooner Steve but when this thread did not get any comments for a few weeks I just left it go. For what it is worth these are the new "Nikon Monarchs" at just a slightly higher price bracket. They offer $1000 optical performance at the $500 price point. My opinion of them has not changed at this point.

However, keep your eyes open. It appears this design is gaining momentum. There are at least three other companies (Vanguard, Hawke and now Orion) that are offering this design with and without the ED glass objectives.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike

That's ok PA I was going to PM you on BF but figured you would check this out after a while. I noticed the hits to this thread went a lot higher after a reply. BTW Surveyor sent me his Promaster to try and I have to agree with you about this binocular.
Regards,Steve