Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 weaver scopes >

weaver scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

weaver scopes

Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default weaver scopes

was looking at a website that sells weaver scopes. ive got an older one on my 300 mag thats about 30 years old and still in great shape. are the new ones any good and who makes them now? im looking for a 3x9 or 4x12 to put on a 243. thanks
Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weaver scopes

I don't know if they are anygood any more or not.
Leupold bought out all Redfield Rights from Meade just a couple months ago.
Meade sold Weaver to ATK the same companywho own Federal Premium.
You've probably herd of Nitrex Optics by now.
I just recently herd about them through a magazing and a thread that was started on Nitrex Optics at the bottem of the Optics Forum.
I do know that Weaver is not made in the U.S. anymore, but in Japan probablyin the same facility that Nitex is built under.
Couldn't tell you if its for the better or worse though.
The 2008 reviews for the Weaver Grandslam and T-series scopes seem very good, and Japan is known to put out very decent optics now.So it may be a great buy for the money.
Depending on personall judgment, some (maybe you) may think so some won't.
Hmm...This reminds me...
Meade/Redfield, and their 30mm tube ,6x range 30mm scope they brought to the table designed a few years ago.
Never really got off the ground though, other than a few advertisements and a few reviews the Meade/Redfield failed miserably.
I wonder if Leupold bought Redfields rights so they have a scope that they can market and compete with the new Bushnell 6500 series..
Causeafter all Leupold did just purchase Redfield in April/08.
just about the same time Bushnell released the 6500 model.
I guess we will see next year
Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought the older Weaver's were darn good. I'd pass on the newer ones until they get things sorted out. May I suggest you check out the Sightron Big Sky line. These are very nice and priced decently.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the Nitrex and Weaver scopes are Chinese made now. With all the swaping of owners of the Weaver name I would be very cautious. They are not the same qualityas the old Weaver scopes for sure.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can’t comment on the new ones but I have a couple Weaver Grand Slam and they have decent optics for the price. MIne are made in japan and I have no complaints on them except for the eye relief. Might be a little short for heavy recoil rifles but that’s not the case with mine being mild recoil rifles...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

The company seems to have been sold and if so there is no guarantee that things will remain the same.There are way too many competing products out there to take a gamble on the service aspect of your purchase. All in all the weavers I have looked thru have been bright and seemed to be nice scopes..only gripe is their eye relief is a tad short for a big mag. Like I said though getting one serviced may or may not proved to be a big problem. In that price range look at Pentax,Nikon,Vortex or a Bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 or even a Burris fullfield.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Simmons used to make a pretty good scope , for the money, in the Aetec line..... Then Meade bought them out, redesigned them, then couldn't get the shipped, and when they finally did, the had turned to crap basically...... that is the new Masters Series line. The announced the , premiered them , and then couldn't get the manufacturing down to ship them for almost two years.....

So knowing that , I am leery of any brand who has had a change in ownership recently. I now stick with Name Brands..... Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, etc...... and If one of them should be bought out, it will be big enough news that everyone will know about it.

MET