Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Leupold Rangefinders? >

Leupold Rangefinders?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leupold Rangefinders?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold Rangefinders?

For those of you that own them or have used them what didyou think?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold Rangefinders?

I think quality control lacks BIGTIME with the Leupold rangefinders..I was verydisapointed when I checked them out..
Especially with the RX3 and RX4.
Bottem line is the RX3 and RX4 took to long to gather the distance (and some never did)( and that was at areflective target that is just standing there)in the real hunting world the animals don't stand around for very long,theve even moved further out, sometimes closer in, or bugged out.
Not only do you need something that is quick and precise you need something that you can depend on in all hunting situations.You just don't get that with these Leupolds rangefinders..They let you down at the most opertunable time.....
With the Leupolds (and I tried many models at different locations only a small handfull of RX1andRX2 made the cut)
Maybe they've gotten the bugs out now,(I don't know I never checked one out sinse over a year ago)but with the Leupold name I woulda expected this to have happened before they even got on the market.
It was almost like they threw them out there to the consumer to cover their overhead knowing that lots of them still had problems but figured it would be a quick fix later
when costumer complaints came in and toldLeupold Managmentthe field problems their custumers were having with them...
I don't now about this company any more, all my scope optics are of the Old Leupold but until these guys smarten up and get back to basics, I won't by another product from them..
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not ever used one just Bushnell and Leicas with no problems. Leupolds are nice looking but I have a problem with the "MADE IN CHINA" on the box what ever happened to made right made here slogan?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have a RX1 and love it
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Not ever used one just Bushnell and Leicas with no problems. Leupolds are nice looking but I have a problem with the "MADE IN CHINA" on the box what ever happened to made right made here slogan?
I got a huge huge problem with the Madein China as well.
I refuse to by anything made from that country can't say that for the wife though[:'(].
Nothing pisses me off more thanwhen she picks up something made from that country..
Any China Logois nothing more than imported cheap crap sold at top dollar.
Any good stuff made there stays there.
Maybe we should learn from them, andand exportour crap at top dollar and keep the good stuff for ourselves..
Ultimately it will come back and kick em in the @$$, although they probably havn't seen significant drop in sales yet, I'm sure they're getting lots of complaints..
I have the Leica rangefinder and am very pleased with it..
It hasn't let me down yet.Dependable andfast..
Leupold do have nice finishes and argonimics but, I'd rather have somethingengineered better but looks plain..
Notice what Leupolds doing now, exterior custom cosmetic finishes to their scopes.
WHATT??THEY MUST BE ON CRACK...
Dosome of these employeesnot go on line and read these threads and take them back to management?
They're is bigger issues to resolve, like mandatory 1 piece which all Leupold scope lines (bigger overhead), and better quality control, than money being spent on employees to do cosmetic touchups..
I don't know, I don't know why I even care..Like I said before I havn't bought anything from them in years..
But I am frustrated with them..They are really Disapointing.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have nikons, my dad bought leupold, I have to say my nikons are nicer, his work well, get the job done, but my nikons seem to be a step above, and I'm a big leupold scope guy, and here I am reccomending nikon!

my nikons are simplier to operate, work better, they may be a more premium rangfinder, mid range, vs entrance range of his leupolds. I'm just surprised the leupolds aren't easier to operate/switch settings. The trajectory calculator is kinda a nice feature, though I think other brands now offer than. Also if using them for bow any will work, but for out west/long range, my nikons are 8X and work out to 800 or 1000/1200yds, vs I think many leupolds are 6x and good out to 600yds, which remember max range means under ideal conditions! my nikons work better at long range for sure than his leupolds. sometiems he can't get a reading but mine work.

so if for out west, id certainly recommend 8x and 800+ range, if only for bow etc....6x-600yds is fine. Just play with em and see how it is to adjust from mode to mode that may be a big deciding factor.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

[ol][*]
ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I got a huge huge problem with the Madein China as well.
I refuse to by anything made from that country can't say that for the wife though[:'(].
Nothing pisses me off more thanwhen she picks up something made from that country..
Any China Logois nothing more than imported cheap crap sold at top dollar.
Any good stuff made there stays there.
Maybe we should learn from them, andand exportour crap at top dollar and keep the good stuff for ourselves..
Ultimately it will come back and kick em in the @$$, although they probably havn't seen significant drop in sales yet, I'm sure they're getting lots of complaints..
I have the Leica rangefinder and am very pleased with it..
It hasn't let me down yet.Dependable andfast..
Leupold do have nice finishes and argonimics but, I'd rather have somethingengineered better but looks plain..
Notice what Leupolds doing now, exterior custom cosmetic finishes to their scopes.
WHATT??THEY MUST BE ON CRACK...
Dosome of these employeesnot go on line and read these threads and take them back to management?
They're is bigger issues to resolve, like mandatory 1 piece which all Leupold scope lines (bigger overhead), and better quality control, than money being spent on employees to do cosmetic touchups..
I don't know, I don't know why I even care..Like I said before I havn't bought anything from them in years..
But I am frustrated with them..They are really Disapointing.

[/ol]
Jeff I too have a Leica rangefinder and love it. I have the newer Leica Rangemaster 1200. I use it for rifle hunting, and rife hunting only. When bowhunting I am very hard on my equipment, heck I have even been know to loose items of equipment in the heat of the moment, when chasing bulls in the rutt.Because of thisI have used less expensive rangefinders for bowhunting.For the past two years I have used a Bushnell Trophyand it worked OK until it broke on me last fall. I am replacing it and can get a great deal ona Leupold. Ido like thenew Bushnell Scout with the ARC system. Its much like the Leupold Ballistics system.But am keeping my options open, and like I said I can get a good deal on the Leupold. So that is why I am asking. Thanks for your replys.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted
Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]

Jeff I too have a Leica rangefinder and love it. I have the newer Leica Rangemaster 1200. I use it for rifle hunting, and rife hunting only. When bowhunting I am very hard on my equipment, heck I have even been know to loose items of equipment in the heat of the moment, when chasing bulls in the rutt.Because of thisI have used less expensive rangefinders for bowhunting.For the past two years I have used a Bushnell Trophyand it worked OK until it broke on me last fall. I am replacing it and can get a great deal ona Leupold.

[/quote]
I'm really bad for loosing and leaving behind hunting equipment too.Usually its just clothing items, I havelost a couple of knives.
Hech, the first deer I shot and I left my rifle behind.[]
I didn't remmember until we were driving out of the bush, and my dad asked me where my rifle was..
know that incident was pretty sad..
Anyways good luck with the Range finder hunting..
[/quote]
Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a RX-II for about a year an could not get it to hit a target but about half the time. I like theconcept with the angle compensator but the lack of target contact was not acceptable. I returned it where I bought an purchased an Nikon 800 an have not looked back.

Quick Reply: Leupold Rangefinders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.