Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 QD rings on two piece Warne mounts? >

QD rings on two piece Warne mounts?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

QD rings on two piece Warne mounts?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default QD rings on two piece Warne mounts?

Can this be done? I'm looking at buying an elk barrel for my Encore but would rather not keep it topped (since I will use a .338 infrequently I'm hoping to just move a scope over before a big hunt). Also, I would like to set-up two scopes for the .338 just in case something happens to one of them on an expensive (for me) hunt. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QD rings on two piece Warne mounts?

The way I am reading this you would like a 338 wm barrel which will have warne bases on the Encore,then using warne QR rings on the scope for this barrel for the elk hunt. Additionally you'd like toset up a back scope also with warne ringsjust in case. If so yes it can be done. The Warne QD's have worked very well IME when attaching and reattaching. I know manysay they see no shift in POI but I am not one of them, however the shift is 1" or less and requires only minor fine tuning. Not a big dealto me as shooting a group or two to verify POI is a common practice. When I touch or change anything on my rifles shootingprior to the hunt becomes a must for me. I am not one to leave things for chance and if a slight change in POI is present I like to fine tune it so I am back to my intended zero or POI, even if just for peace of mind sake.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: QD rings on two piece Warne mounts?

If you are switching back and for between 2 gun barrels, no.

The additional scope is a good idea.
I recommend buying a Nikon Prostaff as a backup, they run just a little over $100 new, plus if you end up not needing it, theyhave a pretty good resell value.

As far setting up a second scope a spudded bore sighter can have you close to dead on, before you even leave the house.