Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Good pair of binoculars for around $300 >

Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good pair of binoculars for around $300

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I was hoping to pick up a set of Bushnell, but I could see right away I wasn't going to.
Which Bushnells? There is a huge gap in features between their different models.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Nikon Bino's. Look at several different manufactures. Ask the dealer to take them outside and compare them one right after the other for a good comparison. It won't be hard for you to make a decision for yourself.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

I was hoping to pick up a set of Bushnell, but I could see right away I wasn't going to.
Which Bushnells? There is a huge gap in features between their different models.
Not sure of models, but $250 and under was what I looked thru.

As a side note:
Given the high praises of the Nikon Monarch, and the warrantee, I think my search is over...just a tad over my price range, but in the long run, should be worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too am in the market for binocs, but I'm looking around the $200-250 range.
I went to Cabela's andchecked outa couple of 10x42s, and found the Burris Fullfield II and Cabela's XT to be really crisp and bright.
I compared them to a pair of Leica and there was a difference, but not enough to justify dishing out $2000!!!

To evaluate optics in a store is pointless IMHO. You need to be in natural light as that is where your going to use your bins. I also suggest comparing the models that fit your budget, etc in both good and low light situations. I personally also like to compare them more then once before decieding. Just like picking a perfume for the Mrs. everything starts tosmell the same. I have changed my viewpoints of optics on a return visit more then a few times. I also don't look at something i won't ever buy.

The fact you can't justify the price has nothing to do with the optics and everything to do with the dollars and cents. To say their isn't that much difference between a burris pair and lieca...I want some of that stuff your smoking. Hey I understand it took me several pairs of bins to realize that yes their is a difference of which isn't appreciable at a glance or in light usage. I found for myself when I moved from a glance/mild usermy eyes started to tell me things. I scout far more then i hunt and my bins are in front of my eyes a ton now. I can't handle eye strain or fatique so I burned through a few sets and finally said screw it afterrealizing how much i had spent on bins. Adding more fuel was the realization onhow muchI spend on other areas to hunt. For the amountI use my bins itseemed rather silly to limit myself...soI splurged. Optically they are great andworth every pennyon the account of no moreheadaches alone.

I am not saying everybody should buy high end or even mid range, buy what you can afford and fits your usage. However their are gains in optics and the price isn't based purely on the name factor alone. To appreciate them you must use them and know what your looking at/for. Not everyone will agree that swaro'sare the best in their class either, some may say Z or L...etc
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Good post skeeter. Lots of truth there. I've always thought it funny to compare binos in a bright, artificially lit store. Once you get past the $15, 10 x 25 made-in-china's, it's impossible to make any real comparisons. Yes, everyone can't afford Swaro's or Ultravids, but if you use them much you should buy as best as possible. A good rule would be buy a pair that made you wonder sometimes if you spent too much and other times you're sure you didn't.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

To say their isn't that much difference between a burris pair and lieca...I want some of that stuff your smoking.
No, I said, I could tell a difference, but couldn't justify spending $2000 for a pair of binos.

You've dropped as much as myentire hunt will cost, and you asking me what I'm smoking???
Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe I should note, I am looking at crispness and definition, not light gathering.
Seeing game an extra 3-4 minutes is good only as long as you can close the distance and still be able to shoot....which is highly unlikely.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

To say their isn't that much difference between a burris pair and lieca...I want some of that stuff your smoking.
No, I said, I could tell a difference, but couldn't justify spending $2000 for a pair of binos.

You've dropped as much as myentire hunt will cost, and you asking me what I'm smoking???
Yeap...precisely my point. Youcan drop 2000 G's on the hunt itself but can't phathom the ideaof 2Kfor your extended pair of eyes????????????
Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

People who have and use the best optics are the ones who really know what it means to have good glass. I too have used the lesser glass but always wanted more. I now own Leica's for the past few years and sure it hurt the bank account. But I do not regret spending the money on them. Guess it boils down to what you want to use your bino's for....Western big game hunting, it can make a world ofdiffernce. Hunting out east sitting in a stand looking only limited range the high dollar bino's might be alittle over kill. Im in the field from Sept to Dec hunting whatever tags I can manage to draw out west around where I live,so I consider it money well spent as I use them to full potential. I truely love them. I do more hunting with my eyes rather than using my legs as I can see much better. Better light gathering...clear imagines...less eye strain...no headaches givin...Be amazed by how much more you can "see" and finding game when using a good pair of glass. I can glass for hours on end with out getting thoseheadaches andfindmore game than I use too. To answer the onequestion, the extra few minutes of being able to glass because of better light gathering. Ive made kills because of this reason, not only because I could see the game, could alsofield judge in low light, but also had to be in shape to make a move to get the shot. Even if I cant get the shot off, I know exactly where I want tobe at first light the next morning. Im huge into Elk hunting and those few extra minutes you can pick up in the morning and nights, I love that time, to any elk hunter out there we all know thats prime time esp the trophy hunter. I remember one time walking off the mountain in nearly pitch dark night, my father had his Swarovski'sand I had a cheap pair of Nikon's. He could see our truck looking through his bino's afew hundred yards away, but I could not through mine. This past season, I made a stalk on a herd of elk (no avail finding the bull when I relocated them just before dark) and walking back to the tent in again nearly pitch black and about 1/2 way back. Jumped sounded like elk, pulled up my Leica's and I couldsee theelk running ahead of me acouple hundred yards out. Just shows how good a good pair can be.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased the leupolds for like 300 from cabella's last year and absolutely love them. I replaced some Burris binoc's that were good but the service life wasn't, however Burris has replaced them twice now even after the warranty ran out. It was just a hasle to keep sending them in, so I use them as a second pair now.

Quick Reply: Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.