Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Good pair of binoculars for around $300 >

Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Old 03-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good pair of binoculars for around $300

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Yeap...precisely my point. Youcan drop 2000 G's on the hunt itself but can't phathom the ideaof 2Kfor your extended pair of eyes????????????
I live in Indiana andhuntfrom stands where you have 30-75 yards of visablity, so binoculars are merely adistraction.
But, you are absolutely right, you're eyes are for lifetime, and hunting is seasonal fun.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Here's what I've researched so far, in my pricerange:

Burris FFII 10x42 - $175
Cabela XT 10x42- $275
Nikon Monarch 10x42 - $300
Zeiss Diafun 10x30 - $400 (more than I want to spend, but...)

Any others tothrow in for concideration...???
Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Nikon Monarchs, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said I understand. Budget and usage wise you are looking at spending 300 on bins which will give you a good return. Choice is your but personally I'd be looking at 8x vs 10x. The higher the mag the better the glass & coatings need to be for perfromance.(aka you can get away with more optical flaws at lower mags). Lower power will transmit better light then higher(Not just useful at the end of the day but other conditions such as low ceiling, fog, rain, snow, etc). A little lighter/smaller, less hand shake &for close range faster acquistion.

I'd also consider in your budget:
Wind River Cascades
Minox BL's
If you can find these locallymaybe worthcomparing:
Alpen Shasta Ridge
Vortex Fury or Diamondbacks

Everybody is different so spend some time comparing. If you start to feel fatiqued or that they are looking the same, retreat and come back another day. Best fo luck
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: beast44k

Here's what I've researched so far, in my pricerange:

Burris FFII 10x42 - $175
Cabela XT 10x42- $275
Nikon Monarch 10x42 - $300
Zeiss Diafun 10x30 - $400 (more than I want to spend, but...)

Any others tothrow in for concideration...???
Like I said I understand. Budget and usage wise you are looking at spending 300 on bins which will give you a good return. Choice is yours but personally I'd be looking at 8x vs 10x. The higher the mag the better the glass & coatings need to be for perfromance(aka you can get away with more optical flaws at lower mags). Lower power will transmit better light then higher-fact! (not just useful at the end of the day but other conditions such as low ceiling, fog, rain, snow, etc). A little lighter/smaller, less hand shake/eye strain&for close range faster acquistion.

I'd also consider in your budget:
Wind River Cascades
Minox BL's

If you can find locallymaybe worthcomparing these as well:
Alpen Shasta Ridge (can find these less then 300 on the internet)
Vortex Fury (these can be had on the internet for 300)

Everybody is different so spend some time comparing and choose which look/feel the best. If you start to feel fatiqued or that they are looking the same, retreat and come back another day.

Best of luck
Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Guys, for the price range you're referring too, you've got to check out the Vortex Diamondbacks, they are clearer & brighter than many you've mentioned. I've compared them to other ones in prices from 150.00 to 450.00 Ones like Burris, Monarchs, & Leupolds but not some of the others mentioned but I'm sure they are as good if not edge them out. My Son has used his for 2 years now & I have the Vortex Vipers, they are a step up from the Diamondbacks & more money, but Wow! The Diamondbacks run around 200.00 but will amaze you in their quality, they are well worth your consideration. You can see them here.
http://www.audubonbinoculars.com/binoculars

If any are intersted let me know, we now carry them at below msrp on our Site! They really are an awesome bino!

ElkNut1
Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I just boughtSwift 8.5 x44 HCF Audubonfor $300 on EBay. They are very clear and I would recommend them to anyone looking for binos in this price range.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: elknut1

Guys, for the price range you're referring too, you've got to check out the Vortex Diamondbacks, they are clearer & brighter than many you've mentioned. I've compared them to other ones in prices from 150.00 to 450.00 Ones like Burris, Monarchs, & Leupolds but not some of the others mentioned but I'm sure they are as good if not edge them out. My Son has used his for 2 years now & I have the Vortex Vipers, they are a step up from the Diamondbacks & more money, but Wow! The Diamondbacks run around 200.00 but will amaze you in their quality, they are well worth your consideration. You can see them here.
http://www.audubonbinoculars.com/binoculars

If any are intersted let me know, we now carry them at below msrp on our Site! They really are an awesome bino!

ElkNut1

Elknut,
I've looked at those Vipers. I thought they were amazing. Was thinking about getting them. Midway has them for about $480, I believe. And I agree...the Diamondbacks are about the best you're gonna get for $200. Real nice glass. Great guarentee!!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

You might do a web search for 7x42 or 8x42 Bushnell Discoverer's. I love mine and they have a great rep for good glass. I use them stand hunting because I can see in near dark conditions and can see into the foliage much better than with eyes alone! This, IMHO is the real test for hunting binos. That is, how well one can see into the foliage and pick out deer shapes, antlers, etc. That is when clarity, resolution and color representation are really tested.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Old/New, you're right, there's nothing out there in the 800.00-1000.00 range out there that will touch them! Yet they're half their price! I've compared the Vipers to at least 10 different brands & they always amaze me at their brightness & clarity. It's not just you & I saying it but everyone that has taken the opportunity to look through them also says the same thing! I can match that price plus free shipping & a free Bino Harness that says Voretx on it! PM me if interested?

They were Optic of the year in 2007 in Outdoor Life! That says something!

ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Good pair of binoculars for around $300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.