Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 decently priced good varmit scope?? >

decently priced good varmit scope??

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

decently priced good varmit scope??

Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default decently priced good varmit scope??

looking for a new varmit scope for my 223cal. currently have a cabelas guide at 4.5-20x50 on it that i am not very happy with. i have a few leupold vx2's on other guns and am really happy with them. but they are quite pricy in the high power scopes. any good recommedations on a cheaper but good scope??
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: decently priced good varmit scope??

I have a Leupold Vari-X IIc Matte 6-18x40 AO I will sell for $335TYD in like new condition. Can email pics if interested.

Thanks, Rick
Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend checking into Sightron. Pretty darn good scopes.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

i picked up a swift 8x32x50AO a few years ago,i think eabco has them for alittle over 200.00 .claer and very accurate on my savage 22-250.COMES WITH 4IN SUNSHADE.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

man bandhunter, wish you had that back in june!! i spent 450 on my vx-II 6-18x40AOT. plus shades and screw im covers!

do love it though and glad i went with it over a cheaper scope. im the kinda person that would rather spend 450 now and never have to worry about it again than spend 200 now and then have problems and clarity issues. even on 18x the leupold is crystal clear. tracks true as well, which most cheaper scopes wont do. i tested it numerous times and it tracks like a champ...i find that important for long range shooting...click right into 350yds, make the shot and return it to my 200yd zero and have no worrys about it not being there for the next shot.

ive always heard decint reviews about the cabelas scopes..whats the problem with yours?? just curious..could be a bad scope and could be fixed..or its just not a leupold like your used to hard to find a good scope that isnt expensive in the high magnifications...only thing i can say is goto cabelas or a shop that has ALOT of scopes and play with them all and see if you like anything in your price range...glass is expenive...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check out www.samplelist.com and see if they have what fits your needs and budget.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

the scope came on the gun when i bought it. and by no means is it a leupold. my problem with the scope is clarity. at low power it is alright but as you turn up the power the worse it gets. not a good thing on long shots.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Midway and Cabelas during their clearance sales. A few years back I picked up a 6x18x40SF buckmaster for $279 from Midway. Brand new scope it was what they had for in store display, mine did not look like it was ever taken out of the box.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 AM

What don't you like about the Alaskan guide model? I had one and when I got mine it was better than most of the other scopes I looked at for more money. Including Leupolds for almost 200 bucks more.

Mine was very similar to a Nikon.

What is your version of decently priced?

It is a cabela's scope, if you are not happy with it send it or take it back and look at others.

Most of what you look at though is going to have the same glass, coatings and probably be made in the same place to similar specs as the Alaskan Guide scope. Most of these scopes come from the same place pretty much.

You are just going to have to look at several and see what "catches" your eye. It's pretty hard for someone else to pick out a scope for you. Look at all the popular brands and models and pick the one YOU like the best.

Sorry, just saw where you answered my question. Mine was very clear at 20 power and longer ranges, which is why I kept it. I tried several scopes until I found one I liked. Mine was only a 44 mm objective as well.

You can still return that scope, you just might not get as much money back for it since you don't have the receipt or box. Cabela's has pretty good customer service in most cases.

Paul
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 x???? gets my vote. For the money hard to beat. Had one on my Rem 700 PSS, used it for sniper competitions as well as hunting. Clear enough and good enough to take Prairie Dogs at 700+ with my .308. Lots of other good ones out there too.