Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 see-thru scope mounts >

see-thru scope mounts

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

see-thru scope mounts

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default see-thru scope mounts

I have read somewhere on here that see-thru scope mounts twist and may cause the shots to be off. I have a set, I beleave they are the kiwk see thru, one my savage 110e 30-06. the rifle will hit paper at 50 yrds, but all over the place and at 100 yrds I am lucky to hit the paper at all. They are a base and rings one piece. I have refloated the barrel, but I am going to take it to a gunsmith to rule out other gun related problems.

The mounts are over 10 years old. came with the gun when I bought it (10 years ago), it was used at that time so I don't know how old it was before that. I do have a cheap $60 tasco pronghorn 3 - 9 X50 on it, but I want to rule every thing else out before I go replace the scope. if it ends up being the scope I am going to save up and get a nikon prostaff.

Should I go on and replace the mounts?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: see-thru scope mounts

I'd say dump the mounts and the scope ASAP. You owe it to your quarry!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Before you spend good money with a smith, get yourself some good bases and rings, mount that cheap Tasco and see how it shoots. If point of impact is still moving, I'd start "saving" for that Nikon.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good point... Kwik Site see-thru rings are just plain awful... [:'(] They are lightweight aluminum, and with the hard kicking .30-06 round, they do stand a good chance of moving/shifting/bending.

I would get a different base/rings and mount the Tasco (like Wayspr said). If you are still having problems, then it is the Tasco scope. Ditch the scope and get the Nikon with the new base/rings.

You mentioned a Savage 110e in .30-06. I have a Savage 110 in .308 and let me tell you - it is dead on accurate. I mean, holy crap does Savage make an accurate rifle! [8D]

Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree ditch the see thrus and buy yourself some quality replacements. My cousin missed a boonie whitetail because of see thru mounts, he swore by them until that day then all he could do is swear at them.

Next course of action would be switcc out the scope for adifferentone if that you knowholds zero(if possible). If no other scopes at your disposal bettersave up.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not only is the mount and scope very low in quality the raised view you get with the see thru mounts make the scope hard to adjust to while shooting. Also picking up game thru the see thru sights is harder.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I agree ditch the see thrus and buy yourself some quality replacements. My cousin missed a boonie whitetail because of see thru mounts, he swore by them until that day then all he could do is swear at them.

Next course of action would be switcc out the scope for adifferentone if that you knowholds zero(if possible). If no other scopes at your disposal bettersave up.
I have a couple of scopes on hand, but one I am not going touch until after jan. 5, last day of late ML. which is the scope I got with the 30 06, it is the one I got with the 30 06, sadly it is also a tasco, it is 10+ years old as well, I am planning replace it, but I do know it holds zero,
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not only are see through mounts flimsy and unreliable,but they mount the scope too high for a proper cheek position on the stock.