Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Mounts

Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Spike

Default Scope Mounts

OK, now that I've decided on a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope with Multi-X recticle for my 50 Caliber Frontier Muzzleloader.

What type of scope mount do you use & or preffer?

Tons of differing types and I have no prefference other than the see thru ones look intreauging for upclose "surprise" shots when walking to and from blind.

Any and all input is welcome.

BTW --- my barrell is already drilled and tapped with 4 holes two front and two rear if that makes a difference.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope Mounts

Aluminum mounts are OK, but I prefer steel bases and rings, if you can get them for your rifle. Just stay away from those "see-under" kind. They get your face too high up in the air above the stock making your shooting position shaky. Plus those thin rings are just too flimsy. They're too easy to knock out of adjustment out in the woods.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kkeiser

OK, now that I've decided on a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope with Multi-X recticle for my 50 Caliber Frontier Muzzleloader.

What type of scope mount do you use & or preffer?

Tons of differing types and I have no prefference other than the see thru ones look intreauging for upclose "surprise" shots when walking to and from blind.

Any and all input is welcome.

BTW --- my barrell is already drilled and tapped with 4 holes two front and two rear if that makes a difference.
If your rifle has a lot of blow back at the breech with the scope directly above that, you might want quick release rings. I would suggest the Warne QD for quick release. They have a guarantee that's hard to beat. I broke a set of them by over tightening them back onto the rifle. Called Warne, mailed the old ones back and they sent me new ones.

If you do not want to remove the scope for easier cleaning then some B-Square mounts are real good. I have them on one of my Knights and they are realsolid and strong and reasonable in price. Also the Woods Trophy mounts have been on one of my Thompson Centerrifles with aBushnell Banner mounted in them, and they have been working perfect. I bought them at Cabela's.

As for the see through aspect, like already said. I personally want that scope as close to the barrel as possible. I like a medium height set which normally takes care of a 36mm-42mm objective. With see through rings, you stretch your head around trying to get the same sight picture. Also you will discover that with a scope you will seldom if ever use the open sights. Just set the scope on 3X and you would be surprised (if you practice) how fast you can get on target and shoot.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Spike

Thanks, without ever setting up a gun with Optics I'm a "newbie" to what all the options and tripfalls are.

I will stop by Gander Mtn this afternoon and get a better look at what is available.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have see through rings and love them
Old 07-19-2006, 02:57 PM

I have a one piece Talley aluminum base on my Omega. It is a nice custom fit and is very solid. Here is the link.. www.talleyrings.com
Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Spike

I stopped into Dick's sporting goods and took a look at what all they had, I think the options are to many to make a disicion with out my gun, rings & scope mounted.

I will have to get the scope and mounts installed then try a couple rings to see what I feel comfortable with.

Thanks for the advise guys.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 PM

I looked at the CVA see through mounts for my CVA rifle and didn't like them either. Millet makes nice big steel see through rings alot better than CVA's.