Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

scope rings

Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Default scope rings

I hope I am in the right place for this question. Got new scope rings through mail order a couple of days ago. During the disassembly of one of the rings, I managed to screw up the allen head. Now I can't get it out. I have a massive set of allen wrenches both standard and metric, but nothing will fit. I need some ideas. Going to town to check Zearz to see if an eaze out is made small enough to extract it. But, still looking for ideas. And where would I find replace ment allen heads ?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 PM

Default RE: scope rings

You might try using a similar sizetorx head screwdriver or bitto remove and or tighten the hex head. This has worked for mewhen that happened.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like mentioned a torx or if you can get a small enough ease out. Though if using an ease out I'd be inclined to use some tap oil.

The other option would be call the mail order company and see if they'll exchange them. IMO striping out the allen screw in dissasembling for the first time is unacceptable. Never mentioned the manufacturer of the mounts but I'd be suspect of the quality of the mounting system itself.

If you do manage to get them out, I'd try and swap all the screws for agood qualityTorx (if possible).

Good luck
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM

If they will not replace the scope mounts, you should take it to a gun smith and have him mount and bore sight it for you.

Chances are if the threads are galled, a new screw is not going to help your situation. You are going to need a special tap of the right size and pitch to restore the threads.

You will have more money into the tap and screw than what you have in the whole scope mount.