Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 what can you do if you don't have $$$ for a scope >

what can you do if you don't have $$$ for a scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

what can you do if you don't have $$$ for a scope

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what can you do if you don't have $$$ for a scope

As long as a scope will stay at zero you can use about any of them and adjust to their lower quality optics butat the very minimum it has to stay at zero after repeated shots.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM

I feel this fellas problems. I know everyone in here preaches and preaches and preaches like he says about buying these $300 scopes. It kinda makes the smaller people feel a little more poorer, when they open up their own cabelas or bass pro shops books, or any book at that matter. I just have this massive problem, I get all pumped up about buyting a new scope, cause i have been looking for one to go on my new Winchester Featherweight .300 WSM. I have a Bushnell Banner, dusk til dawn(i think) on it now. It looks pretty sharp on the gun and it gets the job done. Dont get me wrong, its no nikon Buckmasters, but its nice. When I get to the point to buy one, i just go why fix something that isnt broke AND why argue with the mrs about a scope, when you can argue till your eyes turn green, and she will NEVER UNDERSTAND. So there has to be a pretty good low range, budget scope OR if any of you guys have some used scopes they would want to get rid of, let us know?? lol. So buddy, dont feel bad cause you cant afford a major scope. justhave to make do with what you can and dont feel sorry about it. Be proud.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

I use the Banner also. On both the ML and Rifle. I love them. I've never had a issue in anything I consider shooting light. They seem to be rugged and the only fog issue I've had is going from warm to cold. Yeah I'd love to have one of those fancy european scopes, but I'm happy with my affordable Bushnell. I've had a few of the cheaper Tascos, I didn't like them at all. There are nothing like the banners.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot about this thread and I started it, all my gun "right now" have tascos, one I got with my savage 110 30-06, which I bought used 10 years ago so I don't know how old the gun is or the scope. I put it on my ML. but I am planning on buying new muzzleloader next year and I am planning on putting a higher end scope on it and upgrading my others even my old muzzleloader's scope. I am going to save the money and do one or two a year. go with what I have for now.

dmitchell I know what you mean about the mrs. keep your eyes on nikons, you can catch some good sells on them. I think I am going to go with nikon when I goto upgrade my scopes.

kelincp everytime I went to get the affordable bushnell, they where out. But tasco is way better then bsa, I put one on my sks (does not have much recoil) and shredded the crosshairs, on top of that the eye releaf was wrong.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Is there a scope out there worth buying for under $150? I have been reading a few threads about buying entry level rifles, but people leave out the glass. $150 bucks is alot of money for some people. Are the Cabelas pine river any good? I would like to see some input for a sub $150 scope if any.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Fork Horn

Natchez has Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 x 40's, and Browning (2-7 x 3_ and 3-9x40)for just a hair under $150. INCREDIBLE bargains, those, and serious scopes, too. They also have new Prostaffs going under $150, and those are quite good, too, in my experience.

FC
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

As long as a scope will stay at zero you can use about any of them and adjust to their lower quality optics butat the very minimum it has to stay at zero after repeated shots.
I had a 10+ year old tasco on my muzzleloader, it held the zero perfectly. it is going to be the first scope I replace. maybe, I just may replace it when it goes bad.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 PM

I have a NcStar 10~40x50mm illuminated on my savage 10FP (.308) and I can hit vienna sausage cans all day at 250 yds. I used to buy the hype that only the name brands (Leupold, Nikon, etc) made quality scopes until I gave NcStar a try. And my father has Leupold's on TWO of his rifles. Yeah, it doesn't have diamond clarity but for my eyes and the price I paid for it, it can't be beat. I'll take 85% just as good a scope for 25% of the cost of the comparable one. Scopes today just aren't the same as they used to be years ago. Unfortunately, people aren't willing to give anything new a try and are quick to bash anything NON-name brand because it either isn't name brand or the price isn't worth bragin about. They make $500.00 (and up) on down to $35.00 DVD players, and many people use those $35.00 wally-world players and NEVER have a problem with them. Manufacturing cost for pratically EVERYTHING have came down...UNLESS you're buying a highfalutin name brand. People flaunt and floss in their Hummer H3's and I cruise on by in my Chevrolet Colorado that has the same in-line 5-cylinder as their H3 made by Isuzu. Yes Leupold and other do make optics that are exceptional but for the average hunter on a working mans budget, who may only hunt in his back yard (and never see Africa the Yukon or Alaska much less hunt there) without a "high and mighty" budget these scopes will fit the bill. Bottom line, Buy the best you can afford. If it comes with a lifetime warranty (NcStar does) and fits your budget give it a try. It beats not being in the woods at all. You don't have to buy LOW end and you Don't have to buy HIGH end. But don't believe the hype that you can't get exceptional bang for your buck for under $150.00.

FYI: I picked up my NcStar Scope for under $120.00 and after shooting well over 500 rounds (more than a few hunting seasons) it's still going strong. YMMV.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thanking of putting an Ncstar on my sks but I went with a tasco, ok I have tasco on all 3 of my guns. only brand I would not give a second chance to is bsa, too many problems

if I can remember when I started, it was a rant, I was not really not looking for any replies. I guess this is going to be another rant just let me get going.

I have learned a lot about a lot of things in the short hum make it 2 months I been on here. I still don't get where I need to take out a small loan to buy a scope. I do see paying $150 to $300 maybe even up to $500 for a scope, but someone paying $1000 or more for a scope, how long did you save for that. I am very happy with my $30 - $100, they hold zero, they gather light pritty well for me, I have great night vision. YES I am going to jump up to "better" brand (Nikon) but only when I need to, not just because someone tells me that brand sucks and strip it off the gun and use open sites until you can pay for a better scope, and if you have a wife like mine, you have to tell her why you need, want, and why you want to pay that much for a scope. for a $1000 dollars I can take my wife on a nice trip, to see her family in FL. and that is what she would tell me.

I know down the road someone is going to save this, and throw it back into my face. So be it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Cory,

The ironic thing is that NcStar is made in an old Tasco factory in China, using the same tooling equipment and optics that Tasco scopes were made with. No different than the Taurus PT92 coming off of machining equipment in Brazil that Berettas rolled off of. Roll with what you can, when ya can. Priority number 1 is "Keep momma happy!"

Quick Reply: what can you do if you don't have $$$ for a scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.