Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Is this a bad scope??? >

Is this a bad scope???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Is this a bad scope???

Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 AM

Default RE: F***

You know what I think is funny, people who cant keep the same sight pic and blame it on the scope
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

^^^^^ Dang, that was a little rude.... Scopes can and will go bad due to age.

I had an old Weaver 4x32 on my old Marlin .30-30 and ended up taking it off, because it went south on me and totally lost its "zero". (i.e. 4" to the right then, 8" low, (stop - fix scope elevation/windage). Then it's still 4" right, but 3" high.) I ended up taking it off and going back to plain open sights on the ol' .30-30 which is fine for what I use it for. I brought the scope into a gun shop and they checked it out and said the reticle was really bad (it was shake if you tapped the scope).

My advice is to buy the best scope that you can afford for the style and range of hunting you will be doing. My old .30-30? I always bring it to deer camp and use it in the heavy brush and thickets where I'm going to have a shotof around50 yards. For longer ranges, I also use a Savage .308 that has a 3-9x32 scope on it (I am going to replace the scope with a better one soon).

Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go out and buy you a decent scope like a leupold or nikon. You can get a decent one for 200 dollars.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

i feel you my first year hunting i missed a good buck on my 3rd day hunting because the 30 30 i bought at a pawn shop had a 22 tasco scope on it that when i was target shooting the day before the scope got moved off aim lets just say that scope took a long nap in the lake
Old 09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deerhunter518

Went to the range to day because i have had problems with hitting what im aiming at. Today, at 100yrds didnt hit paper at all. After 6 shots of this went to the 25 yrd range to get it on paper and was 10 inchs to the left an 8 in high. i made the adjustments on my scope ahot 3 more rounds and all three hit exactly the same spot as the first three 10 left and8 high[:@]. point in case my scope is screwed. im buying a cheap one untill i can send it back to bushnell to get it fixed. Im buying a ncstar 3-9X40 for$40 from ebay i looked up this scope and it was rated 5for5 stars and is to some the best for the price. For $40 i figured id try it

Before you waste your money look at http://www.samplelist.com/

Some really good deals on factory refurb nikons, and others new and used.
I have dealt with them and everything is legit and on time. good people there.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:08 PM

I'll never buy another Bushnell. Had similar problems with a scope on my shotgun about 5 years ago. Then bought the new holosight and it broke the first time I used it. Took it back to replace it, and as I was looking it over, I noticed it was cracked in the same place. Got my money back. Thena board in my rangefinder went out and they charged me 100 dollars to replace it. It was only 5 years old.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

I've had a Leupold VariX-II (now the VX-1) on my Ruger .270 for 7 years with the zero never going out by more than an inch. At the time it only cost around $200 dollars for the scope. I know it seem's like a lot of money to the younger hunters but at only $60 dollars more than your bushnell, it is well worth the investment. Plus, I've heard the customer service of Leupold is outstanding (although I've never had to deal with them myself).
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Found out the bushnell has a life time warranty so all i have to do is send it back and they will fix it free. but i still need a scope for the down time 8-10 weeks. so i am getting my old simmons back from my buddy and using it till the bushnell gets back.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an old Weaver that finally went bad after about 25 years. A friend of mine who sells guns ordered me a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn. I couldn't believe how much better scope it was than the old Weaver. I have them on 3 guns now and have had nothing but good luck. If I were going to do a lot of mountain hunting around rock and such I might consider something more expensive, but in my opinion a lot of these scopes are way overpriced.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this a bad scope???

Being young is no excuse for not affording any thingquality ..
You just have to time it right, get a job between 15 and 17 before you really have to start thinking about colledge tuition is an ideal time to get quality hunting gear..
When I was a teenager thats when I had the money to purchase stuff.....
Still living under my parents roof, I never had it so good....
No propery taxes, house martages ,bills insurance, no food to purchase,all I did was save up for what I wanted and spend and spend..
Then when I was 17 I buckled down and started saving for school...