Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Which Nikon Monarch??? >

Which Nikon Monarch???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which Nikon Monarch???

Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which Nikon Monarch???

I've been looking at picking up the New Nikon Monarch 4-16 x 42 w/ BDC and side focus for $420 shipped. However, I just came across a closeout Monarch 5.5-16 x 44 AO w/ BDC reticle. for $289.95. I'll be yote hunting and deer hunting with this scope on a .243 wssm ansd hink he 5.5 might be a little much.

what would you guys do??

Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default RE: Which Nikon Monarch???

Hey Kirch, did you try and all Tammi or Jon at The Optic Zone? If I remember right, they gave me a price for the new monarch 4-16x42 under $400, but I don't remember which reticle I asked about.

deerfollower
Old 09-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 5.5 X 16 X 44mm on a .270wsm and I dont think its to much.I really like that scope it is perfect for that rifle.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

deerfollwer,
no I haven't talked to them. I'll have to give them a call. I got a price of $399 from D&R sports. However, they don't have them yet.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

anyone else have any comments???
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 PM

I have been keeping in touch with Jon and Tammi since February, and they did not have them yet as of about last week. I have not had a chance to call them this week, but they do sometimes offer a deal, and the new Nikons are supposed to be a higher quality scope than the older ones. The internals are a bit better and that is nothing but a plus , in my book. I figure the glass and coatings are a bit better too. The side focus is an advantage over the A.O. of old, because you can mount the scope closer to the barrel and that lends itself to better lines along the stock and usually better shooting. I would hold out for the newer if possible.

Thats what I am doing, and I am getting the 4-16 and a 5 - 20 as soon as they get them.

Good luck.

Also, the scope depends on what you like. Some folks would never use over a 12 X for what you are planning to do, while others would never go with less that 5X or 6X on the low end. But you need to realistically look at the range of the .243 WSSM and the maximum distance of your shooting ability. Call it 300 yards and I feel that either the 4-16 or 5-20 would serve you well. Much farther than that and the 5-20 would probably be your better bet. Take a current scope you have and view a close object( probably as close as you could get a deer oryote to come in normal circumstances -- that may only be about 30 yards ) andlook at it with your naked eye, then with a scope at 3X and then with your scope at 5X ; and you will not see a lot of difference ...... and if you are comfortable viewing it at 5X , then you will not hurt yourself with a scope at a 5X low end. If that is the case get the 5-20. You dont have to use the scope at 20X, but you cant make a 4-16 go up to 17 or 18x, if you needed it.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kirch

I've been looking at picking up the New Nikon Monarch 4-16 x 42 w/ BDC and side focus for $420 shipped. However, I just came across a closeout Monarch 5.5-16 x 44 AO w/ BDC reticle. for $289.95. I'll be yote hunting and deer hunting with this scope on a .243 wssm ansd hink he 5.5 might be a little much.

what would you guys do??

I have that exact close out scope. Only thing I don't like is you lose you view picture so easy with any head movement. More than any other scope I have used. Not sure why either, unless thier erector lenses are close or something. I have a feeling they do this to limit parralax.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM

New Nikon Monarch 4-16 x 42 w/ BDC and side focus has been on backorder for a while i been checking out store and getting updates. Its going to be a long wait process i would try to purchase something else.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

anyone have the Monarch 4-16x42 yet? I saw them at gander mt. but not in the BDC. My does Nikon take so long to make their product line for the year? I went through the same BS last year trying to get an Omega BDC for my Encore Prohunter.

Nikon get your act together or I'm switching to Zeiss!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM

I have the new Monarch in 4-16 x 42 and5-20 x 44. I have had them for about a month. Both are fine scopes. I have already swapped them out with others on my guns and they sighted in easily and reproduced well. Good clear optics. I am well pleased. BTW , mine are nikoplex reticle scopes. I have not tried the BDC, but I haven't really felt the need to. They may work great, but for me the Nikoplex is fine.

I got mine from www.theopticzone.com.

Monarch 4-16x42, BDC, Matte

$389.00

-------------------------

Monarch 4-16x42, Nikoplex, Matte

$379.00

Free UPS Ground Shipping
Receive FREE UPS Ground shipping on all orders over $300.00. To learn more, please refer to our customer service page.
Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Which Nikon Monarch???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.