Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Full Size or Compact? >

Full Size or Compact?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Full Size or Compact?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Full Size or Compact?

I want to purchase some binoculars for the upcoming scouting season, but I would also like to use them during the season as well. Am I better off going with the full size for both scouting and during the season? OR, should I geta compact size since they will take up much less roomgoing tothe treestand? I'll be deer hunting in IL so I won't have to look really far to scout. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full Size or Compact?

If your going to be glassing under 1000yrds a 30 or 32mm 2willdo you just finefine..
In fact the cheeper cost of going to a compact will allow you to upgrade
in bino quality without going over your budget....
I'd personally go with 8 power its gives you a bigger field of view, theoretically could be brighter, andshould theoretically give you a bigger exit pupil ,and theoretically should be brighter than the 10x mag, but that all depends on your eyes, and proper lens alignment, coatings etc.
which falls in to the category of overall quality..

Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summer glassing usually requires peering across large soybean and alfalfa fields here in IL and often times the big guys won't step out into that far end of the field until nearly dark. For that reason I would strongly suggest something in the 8x42 or 10x42 size. For your stand hunting here in IL I would also suggest something in the 8x42 range, their not overly heavy so you can still wear them or hang them comfortably plus they will allow you to peek through the thickest brush in the tail ends of legal shooting time and still achieve and crystal clear view. I've owned so many pairs of binos that I don't understand why anyone would actually want to use a pair of compacts. In my humble opinion as small as any serious hunter should consider would be something in the 36mm size. Good luck with your optic choice.

For the record, the Swarovski 8.5x42mm are the ultimate glass that I've ever used!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please do yourself a huge favor and don't go with compacts. The idea of less weight and size sounds great,and even looks great inside the store or in good light. I bought compacts and quickly realized my mistake in the woods in low light. The exit pupil was too small so they was about useless during LOW light times of day when game moves most. About 4-5mm exit pupil is minimum for most legal lighting conditions. I go for a happy medium. Not compact or full size. My own binos are 10x-42mm. To get exit pupil size you divide power into objective lens size-10x into 42mm=4.2 exit pupil.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM

i would go with 10x42, like everyone else said go in the middle, because if you go compact there useless. I would suggest something not to expensive since you aren't doing much serious hunting. If you would like suggestion i could help you out?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Im going to agree with alex. Perfect!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Please do yourself a huge favor and don't go with compacts. The idea of less weight and size sounds great,and even looks great inside the store or in good light. I bought compacts and quickly realized my mistake in the woods in low light. The exit pupil was too small so they was about useless during LOW light times of day when game moves most. About 4-5mm exit pupil is minimum for most legal lighting conditions. I go for a happy medium. Not compact or full size. My own binos are 10x-42mm. To get exit pupil size you divide power into objective lens size-10x into 42mm=4.2 exit pupil.
What he said. You are just wasting your money on the small compacts. Dont do it.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Iremember when i made that mistake going compact. Got out there thought i was hot and start messing everything up. Medium is good or Full size but medium is better lighter weight.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had afew bins, fromcompact to 12x56 but mychoice is8x42's roof prisms. The right combo for my needs in & out of the field.