Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

BSA scope

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM

Default BSA scope

Hey guys, I'm thinkin of buying a BSA .22 Special Riflescope for my Savage .22 FXP Mark ll, just wondering if anybody has used one before and how well it worked, or comments about whether or not it's a good buy. Visit cabela's website to view it, heres the link, http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601562&id=0012847711134a&navCount=5&amp ;podId=0012847711134&parentId=cat601562&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat60156 2&hasJS=true
Thanks a lot and good hunting.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BSA scope

I won't own any BSA,tasco or simmons scope.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Looking at the reviews of it on that page, ithas favorable remarks. This would be a good choice without spending alot on a 22 rf scope. I have had a Sweet 17 model on a NEF sportsterfor quite some time and it has proven to be a great scope for the money.Cablea's has a good return policy if you decide not to keep it.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my friends talked me into one of them ,he is no longer my friend!!!lol I cant give you any good news about them.They always screwed up on any of my rifles.I only buy nikon from that day on.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM

It probably won't be any better worse than any other 30 dollar scope out there. It will most likely function (maybe) but the optics will leave a lot to be desired. Since it is a rimfire scope it will probably have a fixed parallax at 50 yards which will be nice if it is going on a .22.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the gun. If its a casual shooter that will not see much abuse it will most likely be ok as long it is a good scope out of the box.

If you plan on shooting a lot or doing some hunting where your gun may some abuse I would suggest getting a better scope for it. I mean you don't need a 2 or 3 hundred dollar scope, but moving up a few steps wouldn't hurt.

I would pick a Cabela's brand scope before that one to be honest. Either way if you get it from there they have great customer service. Do does BSA for that matter.

Paul
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 PM

You get what you pay for in a scope.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Just my opinion,

But BSA is not worth anything in my book and I will not buy one.

Now on the other hand, I did buy a Simmons scope about 10 years ago and it was a pretty good 4 x 12 x 40 scope and I put it on a 270 Winchester and I keep my shots below 200 yards and it will put two 130 gr Hornady handloads in the same hole at 200 yards.

There are a lot of more expensive scopes on the market that will not do that.

Before Tasco went out of buisness, my brother bought a used rifle that came with a Tasco scope and it was in need of replacement and he sent it back and they lost it and he called them like 9 months later, and they sent him a ( 3 x 9 x 40 )TV view scope and a few days later they found his soope and told him to keep it also. A ( 3 x 9 x 40 ) regular large rifle scope.

He gave me the TV View scope and I mounted it on a Marlin 22 Magnum and it shoots well out to 250 yards. One year I killed 30 groundhogs with 35 shots.

So even though I will agree with you on the BSA, I will not agree with you on the Tasco and Simmons.

I'm sure that there is someone out there somewhere with a Hyundai or a Saturn or a Yugo that has over 200,000 miles on it and never had a problem.

Just because it was foreign made or it was cheap does not mean that it is bad!

The Sony electronics were made in Japan and were some of the best in the world.

They moved their production facilities to the USA and it didn't take long for the Americans to screw it up.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason that I refuse to own certain scope brands is because these are the brands that I have personally seen fail.I have seen three simmons,two tascos and a Bsa fail in various ways,including broken crosshairs,image blurring within a few days of use,terrible tracking,zero not holding and the zero changing significantly as the manification was adjusted.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Anything man made mechanical thing can fail regardless of price.Just 3 days ago aSWAROVSKI 1.5x6x42 PROFESSIONAL HUNTER died on my 416 Rigby. Now, am I going to sell all my Swaro's because I have personally seen one fail or do I just have a bunch of junk?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 PM

I will be honest, I have had a few BSA scopes, maybe 4 or 5 and all functioned pretty well. They were not the bargain basement models though. The optics left something to be desired for the money. Except the Catseye I had, it was pretty decent for the money. I have had them on .22's, slug guns and an Inline muzzle loader.

I did have a buddy that had one and it would not hold zero out of the box. BSA sent hima new scope, better than the one he had because they didn't have that model available at the time. Later they sent him the model that failed and told him to keep both scopes for his time. And if you are getting itat cabela's they will take it back simply because you don't like the way it looks. They just don't care, they have some of the best customer service anywhere.

I did have a Bushnell Trophy fail on me last year, but I still hold that they are a decent scope for the money. I let a young man shoot my slug gun with the trophy on it and it whopped him in the head. I think maybe that did it in. The kid didn't even whine about it, I was impressed.

I just think for alittle bit more money you could get a better scope than you are looking at is all. Even a Bushnell banner would be better than that I think.

Paul