Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Ziess Conquest >

Ziess Conquest

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Ziess Conquest

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeiss Conquest

As far as I know, Leupold doesn't make any glass. They outsource all of it. I believe most of it comes from Japan, but I think some of the glass for their lower end scopes comes from China possibly. I'd be interested to know where they're getting the glass for the newVX-7. They advertise that this new glass is lead free, somethingthe Conquests havehad since day one. So, could Leupold be using Euro (maybe even Zeiss) glass in these new scopes. I have no clue, it's just something to wonder about.

In response to Montana Dave, your friend's Conquestis an anomoly and should be sent back to Ziess's service center for repair. They'll fix it under warranty.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: absolut40

Thats interesting ill have to check that out.I bet leupold couldnt say that.
Doesn't matter if they can say that or not. All that matters is does it match the specs. We buy lenses from all over for mfg and goverment uses. Used to, we were brand specific to people favorites, and austian and german optics were the most in demand, but you can't just ignore economics. Japan, and Phillipeans are matching or exceeding the specs for half the price. We use optics for different applications like free space and classical optics or communications, but its all the same. Japan takes a different smarter, more economic approach. They build for high quanity, but use what they do best, quality control, to "grade", the lenses, and sell them as such. The highest quality get sold for high end scopes, and lowest quality for low end scopes.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

They build for high quanity, but use what they do best, quality control, to "grade", the lenses, and sell them as such. The highest quality get sold for high end scopes, and lowest quality for low end scopes.
BC, why does Sony highend cameras use Zeiss Lenses?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

They build for high quanity, but use what they do best, quality control, to "grade", the lenses, and sell them as such. The highest quality get sold for high end scopes, and lowest quality for low end scopes.
BC, why does Sony highend cameras use Zeiss Lenses?
I don't work for Sony, so I can't comment on thier economics or business practices. I have bought off of zeiss, but alot of guys here like leica much more. So does alot of eye doctors. Most of our microscopes are leica. Those guys are doing different work than I which is free space optics.

Rifle scopes are only a drop in the bucket for most of these lens grinders.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

BC, I have to Respect your Knowledgeable Expertise!

Which Company Makes the Best Camera Lenses?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

BC, I have to Respect your Knowledgeable Expertise!

Which Company Makes the Best Camera Lenses?
Thanks, I think I am turning more in a bean counter than an egineer lately. But don't get me wrong, I sure wouldn't turn down a ziess conquest at all. Love em.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Spike

I will say my Sony camera has Zeiss lenses