Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 range finder >

range finder

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

range finder

Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Default range finder

well i'm wanting to buy a range finder i'll be using it for bow hunting and moneys definatley an issue since i'm 15 and dont have a job. i'm looking at the leupold RX-II because i know if its leupold its gonna be nice (i own 3 leupold scopes) and i also like the true ballistic range feature. but 300 bucks ouch! thats alot of money for me so should i save up and get it oris there another cheaper one that would be justas good? o and i have120 bucks saved up.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: range finder

I'm a huge Leupold Fan......
But,my suggestion is to wait...Even though you don't have a job..
Nows a time to think about getting one....
Your only young once, and with no financial responsibilties, like a family to feed and monthly mortages
and no taxes to pay,you can probably have one by April or May June at the latest.......
Save up and by the Leica,(you won't regret it ...FAST AND ACCURATE)
or wait until Leupold has got their quality control figured........
I don't think Leupold has hashed out all the problems with the RX series yet..
And don't read too much into the bells and whistles that Leupold and B&L
claim to have....
It really isn't going to serve you well in the field...
Whenyou hunt, you've I got maybe if your lucky)ten -15 seconds to identify the animal with either your naked eye or optics and range it, before the animal is on the move or is at least alerted to your presence..
You need something fast and the biggest complaint with Leupold is that they are too slow, and many don't range non reflective targets as far as the Leicas seem too....
Getting the distance is the most important thing, the decision to get closer to your target is up to your shooting skills...
And that can be cured with lots of practice at the range.....

Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I own the Leica CRF 1200, and couldn't be happier.

If I couldn't afford the Leica (although I would just go without for a few more months until I could!), then either of the Nikon Monarch Gold Rangefinders (800 or 1200) would be the only other rangefinder I would buy.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 AM

I own the Nikon 440 and I am happy with it. 200.00 and no shipping @ www.durhamoutdoorsupply.com . I know a lot of other guys here have the same model, and are very happy also. You don't really need all the bells and whistles that some of the models have, but that is up to you.

God Bless

Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM

shew that leica is expensive! i wont be able to get a job because baseball season start feb. 15th. o well i got untill nexthuntinseason to save up.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM

I own a bushnell trophy and it work fine. I has everything except for the angle shooting. Just got to practice with it. 200$ can't go wrong, served me well.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM

If I was in your shoes I would get a Bushnell Sport off e-bay !! I have seen them go for around $110 !!

Then I would wait till I could get a Leica when I could afford it !! I actually picked up a great Leica LRF800 off e-bay for $250 and it is much better than the Bushnells I owned prior !! Why........because the Leica has a smaller beam and is less effected by brush, branches, etc. , it also has a red LED that can be seen in low light, the glass is much better and clearer and it's a lot faster !

The Bushnells you can't see the read out in low light, they are slower, have a wider beam, don't work in fog , don't work in rain , ............but and a huge but..........they work fine in most bow hunting situations !! Bowhunting you usually are only ranging 50 yards or less , most of the time you can get you ranges while scouting and your not doing it right at the break of daylight on a deer, after daylight on a normal day you can get all the ranges you need with a cheap bushnell, so for the money they are about all you need !!

You go out west or somewhere on a big trip, hunting unfamiliar land, hunting in all conditions, you need the best RF possible IMO !!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

They make a leica 700PM, new for this year. Cabelas had them for $350, a steal, same optics as on the others. There is no comparison!!! Well, Swarovski and that will set you back $800!!! Do yourself a favor and save a couple more bucks and get the Leica, you won't regret it!!! Blows away the NIkons, all you have to do is a side by side comparison.......
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leupolds have gotten a lot of bad reviews due to compilacted user interface(to many buttons for an LRF).

I agree with the others; Lieca. I havea Bushnell Scout which works butdoesn't hold a candle tomy lieca 900.I admit for bowhuntingI use the Bushnell due to size, which has been adressed by the new CRF Liecas! I would suggest saving up to buy one vs a get by unit now and lieca or similar later. 1 is cheaper then 2...learned this the hard way!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM

If you are going to use it only for bowhunting one of the lower end Bushnells like the ranging 400 will fit your needs as well as your pocket book. Myself i use a Leica 1200 but then again i also use it for rifle hunting also.

Quick Reply: range finder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.