Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 DO NOT BUY PENTAX GAMESEEKER!!! >

DO NOT BUY PENTAX GAMESEEKER!!!

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

DO NOT BUY PENTAX GAMESEEKER!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Default DO NOT BUY PENTAX GAMESEEKER!!!

I purchased a Gameseeker recently for more of a "tinker toy"than anything.
It sat on a .22 and performed flawlessly around the yard.
I recommended the Gameseeker to a couple low budget shooters and have made an error in doing so.
Here is what happened today...
I mounted on my '06 and put a box out 100 yards with 3" Target pinned to it.
I shot 37 times changing my target 3 times and allowing my barrel to cool every 5 shots or so.
I saw a tree rat of in the woods and thought...I got 3 more rounds on me, I got 3 hours of light, aint had a skillet of tree rat in a month or more.
I snuck through the briars triing to stay low to hide my bluejeans.
I got about15 yards to the little bugger and he jumped up dead center of a big oak.
I shouldered my rifle invisioning my crosshair landing square on the tip of his nosedepending onfragmentation aloneto shock him down........
All I seen was blurry in between black.
The ocular lens had fell sideways inside the tube.
Sometime between the driveway and the 45yard walk and 25 yard stalk.
The LensCame Loose.

I hate to judge something with one bad experience but I have never seen this in a Bushnell Banner or Nikon Pro Staff and I have beat the crap out of both those models.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DO NOT BUY PENTAX GAMESEEKER!!!

Hey post what happens when you try and return it. Ive never used a Pentax but maybe you just got one bad one in a bunch.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Pentax Binos....Dcf Wp...Great Bino's...
But I now of a few people who were not impressed with the gameseeker...
It seems to me you don't want another,I'm not sure if Pentax will give you a refund on your money.....
Although you shouldn't have a problem exchanging it at the place of purchase..
But if you do.......And you purchased it with your credit card,you may be able to get your money refunded through insurance offered by the Credit Card if you explain to them that you want to purchase a different brandof scope...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 AM

If you use enough scopes you have see even good scopes die. There a manufactured product an as good as they are sooner or later one bad one gets through. It happens. I haven't used a simmons, tasco or bushnell for maybe 25 years but I have killed two Lupies over that time and just before christmas I had a Nikon Monarch crap out on my muzzleloader and I think most of us would agree that Leupold and Nikon make a good quality scopes.

It certainly helps when the company honors there warranty. Leupold did for me and I will remount the Nikon and try once more before I send it back under warranty

I was under the impression that the Lightseeker line of pentax is make by burris. I would expect that to be a tough scope as Burris builds a very robust unit. I have no idea who makes the gameseeker for pentax.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Do me a favor and let me know how the warranty process goes? I was considering one of these. Maybe not after hearing this. EJ
Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: NoKnees
If you use enough scopes you have see even good scopes die. There a manufactured product an as good as they are sooner or later one bad one gets through. It happens. .
For Sure.
I had a Leupold fog internally and a $3500 Night Vision go bad.
MANY OTHER FAILURES I HAVE SEEN FROM BIG NAMES.

I had a Weaver 4x that lasted YEARS, but my buddy had one that lastedtwo days.

I myself have no interest in the Gameseeker any more.
Isay theBushnell Banner or Legend or the Nikon Pro Staff is a much better decision overall whenbuying "cheap" scopes.
My Opinion.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Every manufacturer has a bad product get through. Quality control only tests a small percentage of every batch. I'd judge them on how they handle the problem and honor the warranty. Its too bad you lost out on your dinner though because of it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Spike

Angry No Joy on Pentax Gameseeker scopes

I purchased two Gameseeker scopes last year (around 9-2012). One is a 6-24 and the other is the 8.5-32. The first time out of the box the 32 was mounted on a 5.56 AR and lasted about 60 rounds. The reticle rotated about 45 degrees. I then used the 24 power for about 50 more rounds with no problems encountered. I shipped the 32 back to Pentax with $19.95 to the address on the "Worry-Free" Warranty card. UPS notified me that the address was no good. I tried to call Pentax but couldn't get a human to answer the phone. UPS tracked down the correct address and several weeks later a new 32 arrived. I just this week got a chance to try the new scope and this one lasted about 30 rounds and did the same thing. I shipped the new scope and $19.95 to Pentax to the address on the card in the new box (which I wrongly assumed was corrected) and again UPS tracked down the address. I'll know day after tomorrow if that address is correct. I have read stories like mine on several blogs and I understand that things can go wrong with any piece of equipment. But doesn't it seem like a lot of Gameseekers are showing up defective? I really don't want the scope back and don't want the 24 power either. However I can't sell them in good conscience as I have no faith in Pentax and don't believe these scopes will ever be any good.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by greywolf45
I purchased two Gameseeker scopes last year (around 9-2012). One is a 6-24 and the other is the 8.5-32. The first time out of the box the 32 was mounted on a 5.56 AR and lasted about 60 rounds. The reticle rotated about 45 degrees. I then used the 24 power for about 50 more rounds with no problems encountered. I shipped the 32 back to Pentax with $19.95 to the address on the "Worry-Free" Warranty card. UPS notified me that the address was no good. I tried to call Pentax but couldn't get a human to answer the phone. UPS tracked down the correct address and several weeks later a new 32 arrived. I just this week got a chance to try the new scope and this one lasted about 30 rounds and did the same thing. I shipped the new scope and $19.95 to Pentax to the address on the card in the new box (which I wrongly assumed was corrected) and again UPS tracked down the address. I'll know day after tomorrow if that address is correct. I have read stories like mine on several blogs and I understand that things can go wrong with any piece of equipment. But doesn't it seem like a lot of Gameseekers are showing up defective? I really don't want the scope back and don't want the 24 power either. However I can't sell them in good conscience as I have no faith in Pentax and don't believe these scopes will ever be any good.
I put pencrap in the same catagory as Trasco and Crapnell. Wise move ditching it once u get it back!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

It seems like at some point, Pentax ought to pay for the shipping if they keep sending you defective scopes. I agree on dumping them and moving on. Good luck.