Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Hunter Recurve Class

Old 07-20-2003, 12:46 PM

Default Hunter Recurve Class

Does anyone have an opinion on the yardage for the Hunter Recurve and Traditional class? As I travelled, and shot the Triple Crown, I heard talk of people wanting to move the Recurve Unaided class, the Hunter Recurve and the Traditional class to 30 yards.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:53 AM

Default RE: Hunter Recurve Class

I would be in favor of everyone shooting from the same distance. 30 yards would be just about right.

The problem with 35 yards is not the yardage but how the courses are set up. With the Hunter class shooting from there also all of the shots are set up to challenge them. A few longer shots a round is not too bad but when all of them are set up at about 20 yards and farther it gets a little tuff.

With everyone shooting from the same stakes you would be able to compare scores with other classes.

I hope a few more people show up for the worlds compared to the triple crown.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:52 AM

Hunter Recurve max distance is 25 yards, now.

For the first couple months it was 35.
ken12
Old 07-23-2003, 11:18 AM

I thought 30 yards was a good compromise. The Triple Crown and Worlds are supposed to be challenging and, frankly, 25 yards for a COMPETITIVE recurve shooter is just not challenging enough. Moving the distance back out to 30 yards helps separate the real shooters from the also-rans who can come close to the really good shooters with a bunch of line-licking 8' s and 10' s at what amounts to point-blank range.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
K_N

If I am not mistaken. They moved the white stake down to 25 yards from 30 so the cubs did not have such a difficult time(a rumor I heard).

To avoid adding a whole new stake, (they all ready have too many of them) your choices of yardage are now the 25 yard stake or the 35 yard stake. The recurve unaided class shoots at the 35 yard and the hunter recurve and mtrad (longbow) shoots 25 yards. If the hunter recurve or the longbow guys want a tougher course they are allowed to shoot in the recurve unaided class.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 25 yd max. The best shooters still will win and others have a chance of posting a score that won' t discourage them. All the traditional classes need to bring more shooters in and I think the 25 yd max will help do that.
Steve
Old 07-24-2003, 07:47 AM

I feel 30 yards is a happy medium. It will broaden the playing field in all three classes. It will also give the MTRD calsses benefical practice to participate on an international level. It would also let anyone who wants a more challenging course other than the 25 yard max to move up. By the information I gathered from Nelsonville and Erie, 25 yards was too easy. And if you move out to 35 yards it makes it too difficult for the simlple reason is, if you place the stakes for the RU class at reasonable distance to make it enjoyable, the hunter compound class makes it too simple.I feel we need to go to 30 yard max to benefit everyone and to seperate us from the HC class. I feel the youth class should keep a 25 yard max. I believe this will help the younger shooters. ( and this is what this sport needs) I would like to see a poll taken or a meeting at snowshoe on this topic. I have already taken my own poll with a great number of the shooters from Erie and Nelsonville. The response was overwhelming. Randy Epling
Old 07-25-2003, 08:56 AM

This is one interresting subject. The 25 yrds seems to be great for some and not so great to others. To date there seems not that much change in scores. If the 25 yd distance is that close, then why are we not seeing those perfect scores. Yes , I have seem some scores go up, but still there has not been any real increase. IBO did the right move, get the FITA bows out of our class into their own class, 35 yrds. Yes we need to get more involvment into the triditional class and this move to 25 yrds should help. [] Oh. if the 25yrds is to close for some of you, lets go and shoot field archer, haven' t seen any of you yet at any field shoot!!
Old 07-28-2003, 11:03 AM

I' ve been shooting traditional archery for only about eight years.
I' ve been an I.B.O. member for about five years.
I joined the I.B.O. because they protect the rights of hunting with bow & arrow &
I really enjoy shooting 3-D.
One of the things I like the best about shooting 3-D at a club that uses I.B.O.
rules is that I know what to expect as far as the distance I will have to shoot.
Since I feel 3-D shoots are partlly sport and partlly practice for honing my
hunting skills I like the 25 yard max.
There is nobody that I know that is a responsible hunter that will take a shot
over 20 yards with traditional bow.
I say leave the the true traditional archers that don' t string walk or face walk
at 25 yards.
And to Silent String I shoot field archery with my recurve and it' s a BLAST!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Thanks, it' s great to hear that there is still someone that has a BLAST Field archer is still alive