Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

IBO State Shoots

Old 06-24-2003, 06:47 AM

Default IBO State Shoots

[:@]Has any one been at a State IBO shoot and after shooting found out that some one could win a state title even if they where not a member of IBO. Why join IBO if this is true!!!! This has happen in New York for 2003!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:22 AM

Default RE: IBO State Shoots

The board of directors passed a change for this issue in the spring.
But, they decided to begin informing the membership over the course of the year that such a change was being implemented.
So, as of the first of the year if a shooter would like to shoot for a title or a cash purse in any sanctioned IBO event they must be a member.

I would also point out there are many reasons to belong to IBO beyond participation in a sanctoned event. We as shooters need to pass along the things IBO is involved in for the future of our heritage.

The shooters have supported IBO and our efforts for Bowhunting' s future in the past completely. They have been IBO. Their participation provided provided all of IBO' s support.
We must now begin to spread the membership to the bowhunters.

We help as much as possible when we find out about an issue.
There are two problems in that sentence.
If there are not any shooters familiar with IBO, in the area of a problem, chances are we do not hear about it.
Second many times our help is limited for financial reasons. The Defense Fund unfortunately is not limitless.
ken12

Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM

ken, if i am reading your post correctly, every shooter at an ibo event must be a paid member of the ibo. will that create problems for clubs hosting ibo qualifiers? i know a lot of shooters who attend ibo qualifiers because that is the only shoot we offer on that particular weekend, by sceduling only the ibo qual for that weekend. a lot of the participants have no desire to even attend the world shoot, but pay the $5 additional fee just to shoot. prying more money out of them just to shoot for a day will be almost impossible.
does this mean if they participate in a shoot, and are not ibo members we are to dq them from the event and the opportunity at a trophy or money? i agree that a shooter should be a member of the ibo to participate in the ibo events, ie the triple crown and world shoot, but the local qualifiers will suffer if this is true for all ibo events........straighten me out ken..........
Old 06-25-2003, 12:55 PM

Keith I agree with you it does not seem fair for the local shooters. I also ran into a similar problem with a qualifer in conneaut lake the 2nd leg of the Northeast triple crown. I drove 3 hours to shoot the tournament to have a shot at the title of the 2nd leg championship. I did not shoot the qualifier because I already qualified at Cleveland, So after shooting I turned in a pretty good score in the MBO class and ask what the high score was? I was told my score would win the MBO class by 15 or 20 points but I would not recieve any recognition since I did not pay to shoot the qualifier. My score was basically thrown in the garbage. I was a little upset with the local club. I paid to shoot the course but did not pay the additional money to qualifiy (since I already did) so my score was more or less for nothing. I wish the IBO would help set guide lines for these ibo sanctioned events.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:20 PM

Our club hosted a Qualifier for the first time this year. Because many of our regular shooters were not interested in qualifying for the World or even joining the IBO, we also had a club shoot going on at the same time. Shooters had the option of shooting the qualifier, or the club shoot. We raised our normal shooting fees $5 for the club shoot, but there were 10 targets more than normal. The additional $5 went to the IBO.
This seemed to be a fair deal to the club and the shooters to me - nothing was forced on anyone, but the applications and information were available to all. We kept two ranking lists and everyone seemed to be happy with it.
We also picked up 5 new IBO members for the out of the deal, which may not sound like much to some of you, but there were only two known members locally going into it.
If I' m reading Ken' s post correctly, if you want to be eligible for IBO awards/purses, you need to be an IBO member. That seems reasonable to me. The good thing about the IBO is that they allow the clubs the ability to host a club shoot at the same time.
This seems like a positive for everyone: The IBO was largely unheard of in our area, but got some recognition, made some money from the shoot and gained a few members; our club made money and attracted shooters from distances we had never imagined; all shooters seemed to enjoy the shoot itself, while not turning any away.
I hope this formula doesn' t change. Our first Qualifier was such a success those of us in the club who make decisions can' t wait till next years Qualifier.
I know of another national archery organization which should implement some of the IBO' s ways of treating clubs.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:39 PM

To All,
I don' t read Ken' s post quite that way. As I see it, the local clubs can still hold " fun shoots for their non-competitive attendants. However, if you wish to be recognised as an IBO (fill in the state) Champion, or an IBO National Champion, you first need to be an IBO member. Now that does kind of make sence, doesn' t it? I would expect to pay a higher entry fee for these events. If you don' t want to pay the higher fees, don' t expect trophies.

As an example, when our club held the State shoot we continued to offer a fun shoot also. Our club shoot rate was $10.00. Out of that we paid $3.00 per shooter to rent space, $5.00 per shooter to the IBO. When you figure replacement costs for targets is about $.25 per arrow a 30 target coarse costs us about $7.50 per shooter. At that point we paid $5.50 to have you come and visit. Please don' t take offence, but if you want trophies on top of that, your asking for too much.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:02 PM

bluejacket i agree there isnt much money to be made at any shoot, be it an ibo qualifier or just a club shoot. we only raise our fees by 5 bucks to cover the ibo fees, but we pay that on every shooter in the event, and it is my understanding that if you are hosting a qualifier, you are to pay 5 bucks for every participant. running a club shoot along with a qualifier is kind of jumping the fence a little, but at least the people who truely want to attend the world shoot get that chance, and are not knocked out by someone who has already qualified, or has no intentions of going to the world.

i agree that if you want to be an ibo state champ, triple crown winner, world champ you should be an ibo member. maybe kens intent is just that, and not meant for the qualifier shoots held locally. i wish there were a way to get more shooters involved in archery, and here in ky the archery i schools program is doing just that. we havent experienced a great deal of shooters in the 3d shoots as a result of the schools program yet, but i think things will get better in the near future...........
Old 06-25-2003, 10:48 PM

Bluejacket,
You mentioned the cost of an arrow in a 3-D target is $.25.
Is that a number you equated, or does it come from some other source? I' m not arguing, but curious if that is an actual cost per arrow.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 AM

Rustywreck, the $.25 is an average cost drawn from multiple sources. Talking with multiple club personel, IBO staff, and target manufacture' s will give you a projected life expectacy of the targets. Naturally larger targets tend to last longer than small ones, and those set far away outlast close ones. Look at how often your club needs to replace the targets, what they cost to replace, and how many shooters you have had during that time frame. The number will vary, but $.25 per shot is a close average.

Keith, If your area will except raising the cost for a standard shoot the $5.00 that goes to the IBO, thats great. We raised our standard shoot fees this year from $8.00 to $10.00 to help offset additional club expenditures, and I know we have lost participation because of it. Untill someone understands the IBO and all of the good it does for all of us, they don' t want to pay more for their benefit. That leaves their fee coming from our proceeds. Its worth it to keep them coming in the door, we just can' t keep the trophies there as well. We do, naturally recognise the participants who pay the full (elevated) entry fee with trophies based on the 3-5-7 practice as per our agreement with the IBO.

We as a group do need to be more vocal in our support for the IBO. Think about how many of your friends and fellow club members don' t understand what it is the organization does. I' m almost embarrased to admit that many of our own club members don' t follow it very well. Many equate it with " being in IBO you have to shoot long distance" . Clubs that constantly beat people up with long distance don' t help that perception. We need to remind them of the, not-so-obvious things they do. Their support of programs such as the archery in the scools, hunt of a lifetime, Farmers and hunters feeding the hungry all put archery in a very positive light. Also their influence in local, state, and federal circles have been and continue to help protect a heritage we all hold dear. Standards set by this organization also help to prod the manufacturers of archery equipment to continue to produce better, more dependable, and more accurate products. Also their support of family participation & youth scholarships is second to none.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:45 AM

First, the change will effect titled events" (state,national,world.) Local qualifiers will still be exempt.
Second, in the contract that every club is bound by to host a qualifier they agree to the $5 sanctioning for EVERY shooter attending.
The contract does not say if only a shooter wants to quallify. It is also NOT for just the shooters that do qualify, and want to go to the world.
A shooter can , and often does take themselves out of the process for the gentlemanly reasons stated above. Some are not interested in qualifying at all.
The club may allow that.
BUT, that does not dismiss the requirement in the contract.
That $5 is split between the world purse and IBO.
The same as the national triple crown.
ken12

Quick Reply: IBO State Shoots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.