Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Carter which one to choose from little help advice please >

Carter which one to choose from little help advice please

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Carter which one to choose from little help advice please

Old 05-02-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Carter which one to choose from little help advice please

I am in the process of decideing which carter release to get for competition. I have narrowed it down to 3. The carter target-3,/ taget master-2/ or the carter solution3.
can anyone give me a little help on which one they shoot or the pos and neg of these three releases. as far as the fit and accuracy. I have a big hand and find it hard to find a release that feels good in my hand. I have never shot a tension release, but have heard a lotta good things about them. one question on the tension releases how long does it take to get use to them. the other thing is I have been shooting with a loop and scott wrist release. I like this set up because of less tension on the string and knock. I was told that I could still shoot the loop and also a rope release, my local bow dealwer told me this is this true or will haveing both loops cause accuracy problems. Any suggestions will be appriciated THANKS! PS I just dont want to spend the money on a good release and find out later its the wrong one for me. I will be useing this release for compatition and want a good reliable release. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:42 PM

Default RE: Carter which one to choose from little help advice please

This is a hard question to answer.As far as the loop goes.If you shoot with a loop on your string you need to just clip your release straight to the loop.I would not use the release rope and the loop.One that would prob make your draw length too long and two that would just be another rope that you would have to watch for wear.As far as which release.That is just up to you.No one can tell you what to get.You just have to try them and see what works best for you.I shoot a Truball TRU Tension.That is my fav.I would go to a tournament and check out the booths, that way you can shoot different releases with a simulator and see just what you really want.Good luck.
Chris
Old 05-03-2003, 05:41 AM

Buckyemike,

I also have fairly large hands, and have found that the insatiable line of releases fit me best. There are several things that affect this, however. Where in your hand you choose to use it amough others. I typically shoot mine burried deep into my fingers. I can shoot a smaller release, if I move it forward to the next knuckle.

My point is that you need to experiment a little first. Have someone you trust show you how to properly use one, and then barrow and try as many as you can. You will very quickly start to figure out what is comfortable and what is not. As for how long does it take to get used to it...... as little as the first shot or an entire lifetime. That depends on the individual and how much they want it to work for them. The mechanics of the release and its utilization are all very sound. The effort and belief comes from you and is the primary controll factor for success.

I would agree that shooting a rope release from a loop does not sound like a good idea. It is surely possible, but you double your possible trouble spots for little or no benefit. Also as was stated, it will legthen your draw and possibly cause other complications in form.[:' (]

I hope this helps in some way. All of the Carter releases are good products as are many others out there. Take your time and I' m sure you will be happy with the results.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:51 PM

good responses, and good advise, but DO get your hands on one and shoot it before you buy it. make sure the release fits you and you can shoot it.

as for the loop to loop thing, i see no real problem with it, but, i would shoot my release from the string loop and do away with the release loop. you will gain a little draw length by doing this, and there are really no drawbacks to that.....

as for the length of time it takes to get used to a new release, it varies by expereince, and if you have never shot one, it could be a little intimidating on the 3d range for the first time......buy one, practice on a blank bale from about 10 yards and get used to the feel of the release when it goes off. if you are shooting it correctly, it should scare the daylights out of you the first few times it goes off, so make sure you have a sling on your bow so you dont shoot it across the yard........

some shooters pick up a new release and you cannot tell they have changed, i on the otherhand usually have a little period of adapting to the new one. just do not get upset, or angry with your new toy, they are a lot like a 4 year old, they will try your patience.......

the only other thing i would do without a doubt, is make absolutely sure your draw length is correct, or even a little short....if your draw is too long, you will have fits trying to shoot a bt release effectively.....