Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

target bows?

Old 01-22-2002, 05:20 PM

Default target bows?

wat is a good target bow.i have a martin cugar but the grip is too big and it creates blisters. ne ideas for a new bow, ne websites
Old 01-22-2002, 08:53 PM

Default RE: target bows?

bowmaster51,

The Martin Cougar is an excellent target bow in any of it's configurations and you already own it. OK, maybe I'm a little biased, but it has been their flagship 3-D target speed bow for several years for good reason. If you are getting blisters, I would assume that you have the rubber grip and not the wood side plates. If you put on the wood side plates, you will essentially be shooting off the back of the riser. Try this with a low wrist grip.

If you want to change bows, you are probably better served by going to the local pro-shops in your area to see the bows and even shoot a few. A couple of generalities to keep in mind if you are looking for a target bow.... a-t-a length should be a minimum of about 38 inches, with longer being better... brace height 7 or more inches... don't over bow yourself, ie. you don't need 70# to impress anyone...

Some companies making good target bows are Mathews, Hoyt, Darton, PSE, Bowtech, Merlin, and many others. Check some out at your local pro-shop.

The IBO links page should take you to several companies web pages.

Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:09 PM

I always had the wood side plates on my Martins. You might want to try them unless you're just ready for a new bow.
If that's the case . . .take a look at the Hoyt UltraTec. I just got mine last, boy, it's a smooth bow.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:46 PM

I also have a Hoyt Ultra Tech target bow on order I cant wait to get it.