Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Vane change for HC

Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Vane change for HC

Its about the vane nothing else. I shoot hunter class. I don't want to go out to the 45 yrd max that the advance hunter class has. What is the problem with it. Nothing at all. It still is hunter class.If this is truely a hunter class do away with the people using back tension releases and weighted shafts.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Kyscout, the Advanced Hunter Class is 40 yards max.
Pete
Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 PM

This comes up every year, so please do a search on this and you may find a lot of information about it.

The hunter class was started to be an equipment based class for mid range to beginner shooters. It has grown and changed some over the years to keep it closer to the original design, and it is one of the most popular still. It is still trying to be based on what the majority of the "hunters" use for their equipment choises. Now being a pro staffer for easton archery I get to work a fair number of shows andopen houses and such a year. The majority of the shooters are still finding a liking for the longer vanes to help stablize their broad heads. Yes more areturning to the Blazers and other sub 4 inch vanes/feathers.

Now the problem it seems as some want the rules to fit your peticular comfort zone of 35 yards. Part of competition ispushing beyound your comfort zone to help you inprove your skill level. The Advanced hunter class is just a 5 step increase and it matches your equipment... but you seem to want to refuse that option.The Advanced hunter class is growing quickly as shooters are finding that the 5 yards isn't as much of a jump as they thought before trying it.

Oh for the record I shoot with a Zenith 3 finger release which is the same one I have harvested many whitetails caribou, bear and coyotes, and other small game, and hopefully and Elk and a Moose this fall. Back tention releases are a form of excution of the shotwhich all shooter should strive for even with a finger or thumb activated trigger to maintain a surprise release. Why should they be removed from a class? If peole are more accuate with one, why not hunt with what you practice with all year round?

What's a weighted arrow?

Shoot what is legal within the rules to the best of your abilities instead of trying to rule others who do fall into the exhisting rules out.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:19 PM

If they changed the rule then the above average shooters would shoot a higher score on average the some will have more to complain about! Just if you want to shoot short fletches move up simple! I personally shoot HC and next year plan on moving up, I don't want to be a lifer in HC, and any ways do some shoot IBO shoots with quivers on your bows and not hip ones? I have never seen someone with it on. And alot of people hunt with them.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Tried blazers and decided to go with Fletch Flex 400 low profiles. Like the way they fly better and they are a tougher vane...imho.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 AM

To me, there just isn't a point in the whole "anti-blazer" style vane argument put out by the governing ornanization other than to limit the class for some other agenda.

Admittedly,I do not have allot of credibility as I have only been shooting bows actively for about 5 years and just started shooting 3d late this summer. I average between 9 and 10 pts per target on a shoot whether or not I use my Gold Tip Hunter XTs w/ 4 inch vanes or my Gold Tip Pro Hunters w/ blazers.

I know I don't have allot of experience, but what I do see is that at the local level the "hunter" class seems to be a "shoot what you brought" kinda deal that welcomes newcomers, folks that mainly hunt and others. From a shooter standpoint, the only advantage that I see in blazers is that they give me maybe 5 to 8 fps over standard 4" vanes. I have seen this in other sports before as well, when the local competitions start changing to different equipment/rules and the governing body refuses to change the overall rules, especially where there is a higher level shoot where the rules are enforced differently than locally, the whole enterprise is hurt.

To me, the bottom line is, Is it REALLY important whether or not a person uses 2 inch vrss 4 inch vanes and/or do the 2 inch vanes give a person any real advantage?
Seems like to me, the answer is no. And, in that case, in the Hunter class a person should be able to "shoot whut they brung".

Hank
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

You have to draw the line somewhere...I use Blazers ....BUT put on 4 inch vanes for the IBO shoots I went to this year, including the Worlds...next year I will be shooting AHC...I would have this year, but didnt realize Blazers were Ok..

People hunt with FOBS....should they be OK in HC? Like I said.....where do we draw the line?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

I think that could be a good goal. If you could get all the shooters that have been in the HC for years out of the class and into the Advanced HC, that would make a ton of room in the HC for what the class was intended for, first time shooters. You could also say that HC is the NON-advanced HC.

Just an opinion, nothing more, and I'm not speaking for my club, for the IBO, or for anyone else.

Jeremiah
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 PM

I think Mr. Turners snide and insulting tone in his reply shows exactly what is wrong with the IBO today. What a ridiculous argument he presented!!! All you have to do is a little research on the creation of AHC. It was created as as an advanced (5 more yards) class of HC using the same equipment rules. What a joke that it is now o.k. for AHC to use a common type fletching used for bowhunting but not allow the HC to do the same. I think as an officer of the IBO Mr. Turner owes an apology for the way he handled that question..........regardless of the mood he was in while writing it.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM

I got a chance to shoot at Nelsonville for the first time this year, and let me tell you I am glad i did not forget or lose any arrows there! All the vendors there were selling arrows with Blazers on them, I didnt see any fletched up with 4" vanes. I think the IBO should not worry so much about the vanes people you as much as the other equiptment they use. I saw alot of fat shafts and target bows in Hunter class. Why not drop the vane rule for a 400gr. arrow weight rule??

Quick Reply: Vane change for HC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.