Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

The elusive 300

Old 10-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The elusive 300

I can shoot a 297. I can shoot a 298. I can even shoot a 299, but for the life of me I cannot shoot a frickin' 300! Arrrghhhh. What gives? Target panic? Psyching myself out? What the heck can I do to improve my score?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Default RE: The elusive 300

Concentrate on each arrow as an individual shot with no thought of the one before it or the next one to come. You obviously know how to shoot, the rest is all mental. Maybe you should start renting old episodes of "Kung Fu". [8D]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 AM

AHHH, become one wif airwo grasshoppa. See airwo alway to zee tauget. See it in bulzeye! LOL, LMAO
Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 PM

Quit telling yourself that "you can't shoot a 300". Convince yourself that you always shoot a 300. Shoot every arrow like it is for the world championship. The most important thing you can do isshoot one arrow in the X-ring, and repeat it 59 more times.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM

What you really need to do is quit thinking about the total score and just shoot for the 'x'. When you're hitting x's consistantly 5's will be chip shots.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:08 PM

rob hit this one on the head.dont think about the score shoot the x the score will take care of itself.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep good advice.........Just shoot the X's. Make the best shot you can make on every target and the score will take care of itself.

My IBo Worlds this year in MBR class was a prime example. It was my first year of shooting MBR class and only my 2nd time at Worlds......
I shot the first day and was pretty uptight but managed to shoot only 13 down but giving points away on the shortest shots because I was worried about NOT scoring on those targets. I really left some points on the course because of thinking score.

So day 2........
I had the very last shoot time and it was POURING and foggy and I really just relaxed due to the conditions, and shot 3 up on the first 10, just concentrating on making good shots.
So then I start thinking. I'm only 10 down overall which is pretty respectable so don't blow this......I start thinking, "If I get to 8 down"......"If I don't drop anymore points"........"If, If , if........"
Well I got tight.
I semi held it together but the more I thought about score and what I DIDN'T want to do, the more I did it. I couldn't do anything right and finished 5,8,5 and was ready to jam a Gold Tip in my Juglar vein.
I went from only 10 down and possibly getting into the finals on my first try in MBR to 30 down overall because I started thinking score.
I lost 20 points in 10 targets for the worst 10 target stretch I have ever had because I was too concerned with that score card.

This is why I HATE keeping score.

1. Make the best shot you can make on every shot.......tell yourself that.
2. Shoot the target for what it is, not what you want it to be. (Think about that one)
Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is to get yourself the book titled "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham. It is an awesome read and allows you to build a "mental management system" that will help you mentally during game time. Lanny was an olympic gold medalist in rifle competition, and his system relates to archery very closely. If your shooting 297's, 298's, and 299's you have the ability to shoot a 300. Just let it happen and stop trying to make it happen.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

2. Shoot the target for what it is, not what you want it to be. (Think about that one)
lol....I know what you mean. It's something I tell my daughter... when it comes to reading, "Read what it is, not what you think it is."

Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone.

I'll definitely pick up that book, Rick. Thanks.