Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Score Keeping?

Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Score Keeping?

The double scoring system that is utilized at all National IBO shoots, is in my estimation the best method of keeping things on the up and up. I would think that everyone who has shot at very many IBO shoots has either made or has seen mistakes made in score keeping. Of course, addition mistakes will be made, but the most common mistake that I have seen made, is score cards that do not match. The mismatched scores stems from marking the wrong person’s card, marking the wrong target, or probably the most common putting the scoring mark in the wrong scoring column. From personal experience I know how frustrating it is to finish a group of targets and find out that the score cards do not match. In these situation one thing is almost assured, if I am very many targets removed from the mistake I will not remember what my own score was on a previous targets, much less what someone else scored. It is the above situation that brings me to my question. What is the proper manner of handling this very common situation?

I have personally seen it handled in different ways;

The lower score is automatically awarded.
The higher score is automatically awarded.
A coin is flipped.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Score Keeping?

If I am not one of the score keepers then I keep track of my score on a little note pad for each target just incase there is a problem.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:12 PM

we try to discuss this before we start and if i am one of the score keepers i will compare cards during each ten target round and if there is a mistake we will go to the highest recorded score unless the shooter in recording his own scores. if the score keepers make a mistake the shooter should not get slighted.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 PM

ONE THING THAT WORKS FOR ME IS TO WRITE DOWN THE NUMBER INSTED OF MARKING AN " X " IN ANY BOX, THEN PUNCH AFTER 10 OR 40 TARGETS. IF THEY DON'T MATCH GO BACK AND COMPARE CARDS.

JIM
Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Compare score cards after every five targets while those shots are fresh in everyone's mind. It works inthe groups that I've shot with.It's a good way to spend the time while waiting to shoot.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, that are all great ideas. I believe that 99% of all the folks that compete in IBO competion are like professional golfers in that they could keep their own score card and be trusted to be fair and honest. Like members of the PGA I am convinced that most IBO competitors would go so far as to impose penalties on themselves to avoid any suggestion of impropriety.

A combination of keeping track of your own score as Ausie-guy suggested and utilizing arrowpusher’s suggestion of comparing score cards after every five targets arevery sensible approaches. Some may see the above as overkill or as being distrustful, but being viewed as above reproach is worth any extra effort.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:22 AM

21st Cent.
The current rule reads: If the two scorekeepers for a group mistakenly record different scores, the inconsisent scores must be corrected as agreed upon by the majority of the group. The error must be circled and initialed by both scorekeepers and the correct score punched or otherwise clearly marked. If agreement by the majority of the group is not possible, the shooter will recieve the lower of the two scores. Hope this will be helpful? I'm usually one of the scorekeepers within the group, and I have found that if we check scores after ten targets that most shooters will be able to tell you what they had scored and we will be able to agree upon it with the majority of the group!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 AM

nys rep,

Thanks for the information, but where is this rule located (in what section of rules). I have looked for such a rule before and just looked again. I admittedly just scanned through the section that I thought it would be in (scorecard), but must have overlooked it. With the rule being as specific as was stated in your post, it would eliminate any ambiguity, but I suppose for some reason I am not seeing this rule.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:35 PM

21st cent.
The information that you are looking for is at the printers. It is included in the 2006 rule book which will be available soon. Ken and Gene along with the board have been woking very hard on making the rule book very friendly for the shooter to read and follow! I should also add that the all the girls in the office have been working extremely hard on getting the rule book and the yearbook to the printers. Hang in there it's on the way!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM

21st Century,

There have been some suggestions here and I think that everyone is honest when they are competing at these shoots. In a group there has to be trust and the group must have a majority agreement or it is possible to call a referee. When a mistake is made on the course it should be resolved by the persons shooting to everyone satisfaction for they are the only ones that have a honest view as a witness. On the course it is easy to make an honest mistake. The group has to depend on the scorekeepers as they can make or brake another persons score. The scorekeepers record the score but the group must agree on any changes that need to be made to a person's score card. All score cards should be made to agree at the end of each ten. At the Indoor World everyone shoots 40 targets non stop and score keepers have to pay attention at every target. We Call the person's name and the target numberat eachtarget in an effort to keep the concentration on the score card. At the indoor it is possible if there is a question that needs further review it is possible for the group to go look at the target and try to recall the scores.
If a person istrying to cheat it willusually be noticed by someone in the group andthey will question the procedure that is in question.

Have fun shooting this game and if a person is cheating or thought to be cheating it is our responsibility to point out what they seem to be doing that is not according to rules. Then we must eliminate any doubts to be fair to everyone.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Score Keeping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.