Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD Eastern Shore Shed Hunting >

MD Eastern Shore Shed Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD Eastern Shore Shed Hunting

Old 03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default MD Eastern Shore Shed Hunting

I spent all afternoon yesterday on Wye Island enjoying the great weather and looking around to see if I could find a shed or two. Long story short, I didn't find any...as a matter of fact, they're definitely still wearin 'em around. After trudging around for several hours, I bumped a herd of 12 and they leisurely loped across a wide open field. Two were antlered bucks....a nice 8 and a fairly wide and tall 6...both with antlers white as snow. On the drive out, there were another 25-30 deer in a cut cornfield with 4-5 scrub bucks mixed in. So I guess I was a little early.

All in all it was a great day to get out and tromp around. That place is something else. Some of the deer trails resemble cattle paths, and the number of rubs and scrapes in some areas is just crazy. Usually this time of year I'm psyched for spring gobblers, but yesterday had me counting the days until september.

I did find some horseshoe crab "sheds"....maybe they washed up at high tide at some point and couldn't get back...but it's crazy finding them in the woods. One disturbing find was a skull of a buck that had a notch cut out precisely to remove antlers. I didn't see the rest of the skeleton nearby though. Also saw a coyote that wouldn't stick around to pose for a picture.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Default RE: MD Eastern Shore Shed Hunting

Also saw a coyote that wouldn't stick around to pose for a picture.
Maybe you outta take your rifle along the next time you go out. Think he'd pose for your 3-9 powered scope?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Well Jimbo...he might have posed for the crosshairs, but I have a feeling I would have been posing for mugshots after I started shooting. Wye Island is an archery only NRMA, except for a few special blackpower hunts. That's one of the reasons it's overrun with deer....and big bucks. (and crabs).

Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

So your saying that Wye Island is worth checking out for archery. I have been looking for good Maryland land for a few years now. I got into some places that have deer but not the quality I am looking for? What county is that in?
thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 07:45 PM

he might have posed for the crosshairs, but I have a feeling I would have been posing for mugshots after I started shooting. Wye Island is an archery only NRMA
DOH!!! []