Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sunday hunting in Maine >

Sunday hunting in Maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday hunting in Maine

Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Sunday hunting in Maine

Thought you guys up in Maine would have learned a hard lesson about the principles of freedom and the threat to our Freedoms from the tyranny of the majority after your recent costly referendum on bear hunting.

As an aside, I do find it quite interesting that as conservative as most hunters are, they mostly accept the Supreme Court's recent ruling about how tyranny of the majority, a lack of popularity, does not constitute a legitimate reason for restricting the Freedoms of gays in Texas, but to get back on topic....

I agree, I don't think you will ever make me understand how you can possibly feel that those same principles of Freedom that our Supreme Court says will apply to gays and every other minority group, seven days a week, should not also apply to our Freedoms as hunters on Sundays.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:41 AM

I live in NH now, have lived in Mass and hunt in all 3 states each year. Not allowing Sunday hunting is just plain bad, and here's why.

One of my very good friends owns exactly 342 acres of Maine land, and lives just north of portland on 40 more. Now he owns that land, pays taxes on it, and spends a lot of effort making it better for wildlife ... but according to the politicians, and some ancient law passed when you stoned people you thought were a witch, a person can't hunt on Sundays. "Most" hunters get 2 days a week to do what it is everyone here loves to do .. but not in Maine. Nope, you have to go all the way to NH, or even VT to hunt on Sundays. Even if you live and own property in Maine .. you have to leave the state on 1 of your only 2 days off if you want to hunt. That's garbage. It's as anti-hunting as any legislation EVER written. So Sundays is left for what??? Hikers? Bird watchers??? Giving everyone a "break from the hunters"??? If that is the way people feel, that is saying that hunters are bad, and that Maine needs to control their actions .. because hunters and landowners and farmers and other outdoor loving people can't co-exist in the woods together each fall. It's crap.... if you want a break .. schedule your hunter change-over any day you want. As a hunter how can you think so low of yourself that you would allow some Puritan dead 200+ years dictate to you that the Maine woods are better off driving hunters out of them each Sunday???

I personally feel that hunters have as much right as any other person to do what it is we love to do in the woods and fields. Managing our wildlife based on some religious notion of a "day off" and not sound biological data is insane to me. Even if it meant that every farmer in the state posted their lands, how could you allow someone to take away your right to hunt. Because that's the way it always has been in your lifetime??? It wasn't that long ago they said the same about shooting does... So I guess bear hunting over bait should be banned because some people don't like it? What happens when there are enough people to vote an end to any and all hunting because they have a majority? Will that make it right? Exactly, it won't ... just like because some farmers say they will post their land and some religous people think Sundays are sacred shouldn't make Sunday hunting illegal.

There is no sound reason to stop hunting on Sundays. Most states allow it because there is no biological benefit to doing it, and it allows greater participation in the sport.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:57 AM

The proposal that came out of the Fish and Wildlife Committee does not include deer during the November rifle season and only includes unorganized townships in northern Maine. So, you still can't hunt your property just outside of Portland on Sunday and may still have to drive further than going south to NH to be able to hunt on Sunday.

It also included a licence increase from $88 to $100 for NR big game.

added in edit.

I know for a fact, that if deer were included in this proposal, we would have lost one week of deer season. That week would have been Thanksgiving as it traditionally has the lowest number of non-resident hunters. However, it also has the highest number of resident hunters due to the short work week associated with the holiday.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:35 PM

I know for a fact, that if deer were included in this proposal, we would have lost one week of deer season. That week would have been Thanksgiving as it traditionally has the lowest number of non-resident hunters. However, it also has the highest number of resident hunters due to the short work week associated with the holiday.
I have no doubt that it would be shortened to keep harvest in line with past years but how do you know it would be Thanksgiving week? Was this included in the proposal? If that were the case then the muzzeloader season would follow for Thanksgiving week and the state would likely end up with more muzzeloader hunters in the woods and more tags being sold.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM

No, it was not part of the proposal as deer hunting during rifle season wasn't ever considered.

How I know, I really can't elaborate on other than IF&W is concerned over the possibility of increasing the deer harvest beyond management objectives. The greatest number of non-resident deer hunters coming to the state is during the first 3 weeks of the season. IF&W biologists felt that trend would continue even with Sunday hunting. Therefore, the week being cut would be Thanksgiving week when it is mostly residents hunters. Made a lot of sense to me when you hear the Commissioner and Govenor talking about attracting additional NRs to the state.

Bothers me to no end because I know a ton of people that have traditionally taken Thanksgiving week off (myself included) and don't hunt with muzzleloader. I don't really have a desire to hunt with one either. IF&W and our wondeful gov wants to cut residents ability to hunt by a week to attract additional hunters in a shorter time frame. I don't know but THAT doesn't pass the straight face test with me.

Its all moot anyway. Have a nice weekend.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Maineguide....I'm with ya.....some of them will never get it.
Vtbuck........Priorities brother. If you want to hunt bad enough, you will find the time. And that goes for the rest of you too. I chose a career that allows me as much time as I want in the field. You all could do the same if it were that important to you.
Over and Out
Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I would hope that if the people in charge decided to shorten the season they wouldn't do the Thanksgiving week. In my opinion and experiance that is the week when it all happens in all 3 northern states. If you want a really big buck that is the time when they show themselves and there is a better likelyhood of snow for tracking. All breeding and not much caution. I am in favor of leaving everything the way it is but it is all about the money so who knows what will happen. Most non resident hunters use Sunday as a travel day anyways.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

To say someone should find a career that basically allows a person time to hunt through the week is ridiculous. I love to hunt, but I have to put food on my table and pay the bills too. I guess I could work in a convenience store at night for $8 an hour so I could hunt every day, but how fair is that to my family when I can be making $30 an hour working a "normal" job during a "normal" shift. My schedule does allow me every other friday off which I spend afield every time it coincides with an open season....BUT....there is no way Sunday hunting should be banned anywhere. There is no valid reason for it....period. It's nothing but antiquated blue laws that should be overturned.

I grew up in VA....which is one of the few remaining backwards a$$ states that still doesn't allow hunting on Sundays (or limits Sunday hunting). After spending three years in Maine not hunting on Sundays, I almost felt like a criminal living in Montana where I could actually get in two days of hunting each weekend if I chose to do so. Although, out there, sometimes you need a day of rest after hauling all the game out of them hills!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Moosedrool....maybe you should consider moving back there then.
And your excuse about putting food on the table is just that, an excuse. I own a 500k house and am raising three kids. My love of the outdoors dictated the direction i went in as far as career went. If you want something bad enough, you will make it happen. Period. And no...I'm no genius. I just made it happen instead of making excuses. I suggest you do the same.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Moosehorn.....do we have issues here? Maybe I should move back there, eh? You know...if hunting were more important to me than my career, I probably would. It's not a matter of making excuses...I never said hunting was my number one priority and my job was keeping me from doing it. Regardless of my career (or yours) there is no valid reason for not allowing sunday hunting ANYWHERE. How many states currently ban it? Very few. Explain that? Does it wreck their seasons or cause undue strain on wildlife or land owner/hunter relationships? Evidently not. Congrats on your $500 house by the way....quite impressive.

Quick Reply: Sunday hunting in Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.