Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Too many coyotes in WNY? >

Too many coyotes in WNY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Too many coyotes in WNY?

Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Too many coyotes in WNY?

Seems like the coyote population has got out of control around WNY. The DEC doesn't think it's that much of a problem, but when I have large " yotes " walking through my back yard in the middle of the day, I think it is. Do these things breed like rabbits because it's starting to look so.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default RE: Too many coyotes in WNY?

I have a den site near where my tree stand is and I noticed through the last couple of years that there are usually about 2 litters a year that come out of that den. I don't know if that is normal or not but, it puts alot of dogs in the woods.

I have had them barking and growling at me when I was in my stand from just over the ridge and have had them follow me out of the woods just to see what i was before. Most of the time when they realize you're there they take of like a bat out of hell.

There are alot of them but they are nice to see in the woods and they're a blast to hunt.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM

in mass we there is no bag limit and it is open year round only 2 a day though but it is alot of fun

Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think western NY is much different the CNY, the Eastern and even downstate. We all have alot of Coyotes. Its interesting how they are there in force one week and GONE the next. It seems like they travel a good bit - in groups.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:54 PM

Im sure all wont agree with me, but here goes. Coyotes dont have more than one litter per year. Coyotes, like fox, do move the litter from time to time. They do this to avoid detection as well as to have a clean den, free of "leftovers" as well as parasites. Anyone who has seen a canine den site knows what I mean! Coyotes also use the young females who did not breed that year to help in bringing food to the pups. The reason we see so much daytime movement and bold movement is simple...coyotes are very adaptable and intelligent. That same coyote youll see in your yard would probably never be caught in the middle of some farm field mousing during the day if hed been shot at there.

Its also a common misconception, documented actually, on how people, upon hearing coyotes howl, believe that theyre hearing many coyotes when in fact its often just a few. The type of howl and sound they emit does just that. Ive actually seen this first hand, where it sounded like a "pack" when it was actually two animals which I clearly saw as they did this. Like I say, this is well documented.

In my opinion, we have a healthy number of of, and in some areas more than others. But, in order for nature to supply us with predators, we need to have an equal amount of prey. Simply put, we have too many deer and rodents for the carrying capacity of the land in most areas. I know, hunting season youd never say that, but its fact. Study things like herd dynamics, predators equations vs prey, or even look at traditional wintering areas that nowadays support deer year 'round, and even browse lines. Nature is pretty good at adjusting its numbers...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have gone out a few times but haven't had any luck. I read an interesting small piece in the paper. It said that in WNY that S.W.A.T. teams have been baiting and shooting deer. If the city/county/town/village wanted to save some $$$ they should put an add out for hunters. I know I would apply and travel for a week end. I am asumeing that It is in the city of buffalo but it didn't say. Just said WNY. Off the subject but thought I'd add.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM

NY, sounds like you need to do some yote control....
Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Thats in Amherst NY outside of Buffalo. They have off duty cops as snipers. They shut it down about 2 weeks ago because one shot went through a bedroom window after hitting a deer and ricochet off a bone. Last week a cab driver hit a deer out there and was killed so now they might go back to it. Giving some bow hunters a chance might not be a bad idea, no guns do to population, but you have a lot of people that would rather just take the chance and hit them with there car than have a hunter around.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 PM

Turkeyhunter1,
You just worry about the cougars and I'll take care of the yotes.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 PM

I agree with nymad1, they should let bowhunters go in and get all them deer out of there, they could charge a 10 dollar fee for every deer taken with unlimited tags, I know alot of people who would travel for a crack at one of those suburban bucks, plus they could use the fees and put it towards the county budget and maybe save some jobs, WHAT AN IDEA, we harvest deer to feed the homeless, why not harvest deer to keep families off welfare.