Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE >

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Old 01-29-2005, 09:26 AM

Default NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

A new guide book will be coming out in the summer. It contains alot of information about NJ public lands. It is not written by the state, but a group of NJ outdoor writers. It will have tons of valuable information from access, game availabltiy, type of cover, size, gps# locations to hot spots, best hunting methods, etc. It is for all game. From squirrels, waterfowl, turkey and deer. Any feed back would be helpful, as this guide is still in the making. The writers are interested in what the sportsman wants, as far as land information.

Till our trails cross,
Wild works
Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Where will we be able to find this guide book? It sounds great!
Old 01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a book that has been out since about 87 called Guide to NJ's Wildlife Management Areas. It's pretty good and I update it with hand notes when possible. NJ also put out a publication of all public lakes and streams and what kind of fishing and recreation they provide. Wheather they are stocked or not, and with wht kinds of fish. Not all bodies of water recieve the same species. Also very handy.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:30 PM

i would like to get this book. do you have any more info on when it is comin out and where you can get it?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: xxxbuckshot

i would like to get this book. do you have any more info on when it is comin out and where you can get it?
Wild Work e-mailed me and said he will keep us updated. It will be at hunting and sporting goods shops. Also it will be advertised in the game law book.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 PM

This is a "for profit" venture, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, but you must remember that any "hot spot" published in a book, with gps coordinates included, will not be a hot spot after the book hits the shelves. The best way to find those out-of-the-way hot spots is get out there and look for yourself. Following the same instructions to the spot as everyone else follows will only take you where everyone else is going.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: NJ_Bowhntr
This is a "for profit" venture, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, but you must remember that any "hot spot" published in a book, with gps coordinates included, will not be a hot spot after the book hits the shelves. The best way to find those out-of-the-way hot spots is get out there and look for yourself. Following the same instructions to the spot as everyone else follows will only take you where everyone else is going.
I agree. However I would be interested if it included a listing of guides, clubs, and bird farms. I would probably buy it anyway because I like to see what is offered in various parts of the state.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:03 AM

This book is for "profit", but can you imagine how long it takes to cover 450,000 acres of public land. This book will be known as the bible of state/public land. Not a 50 page newsletter. Myself and 5 other writers members of OWAA have spent 10,000+ hours on foot, in kayaks, boats, and crawled under/over around it all. Every WMA is different in size and it takes many trips to cover it. Some are only accessable by boat or at least the biggest part of it. My own log is over 15000 miles traveled without any return. We hunted, explored, scouted, photoed, game cameraed(yes we left them there) and spotlighted them. As for the hot spots, yes you will have to scout. This will help you get in the right area. I don't think this will put 10 hunters on the same tree in September. As, we are putting this book together, we would like feed back. What you the hunter would like to have. Hunting pressure, waterfowl hunting, etc. Don't believe the state newsletters that say waterfowl hunting just because there's a ditch running through it. The book will assist the working man who on Friday nite desides to go rabbit hunting in central Jersey or the deer hunter from up north, who wants to shoot a few snow geese with friends. Everybody has there own favorite. It probably in there back yard. Everyone wants to explore new land. This is what keeps us from getting bored. It will inform you, help you get a better understanding of the land. A map just cant' do that. As far as the information
it will be accurate and timely. THe Fisherman Magazine that comes out does far worse to the hot spot then this book will ever do. So when your hot WMA is listed don't get scarced. We are OWAA writers and we heve ethics.

Till our trails cross,
Wild Work

Old 01-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Ryan, it sounds like you are putting a lot of work into it, and I don't have a problem with anyone making money on work like that. I wish you the best of luck with the project.

I was just pointing out that once a "hot spot" is published, it is no longer a hot spot. The good spots on public land in NJ are good because no one else has found them, or maybe very few people. Printing GPS coordinates will change that. That hot spot will become a warm spot; warm because it hasn't been too long since the last person vacated it and the seat is still warm.

Good luck, and I may buy the guide as well, if for no other reason than to see which of my spots has been outted.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 AM

I have hot spots to for waterfowl, deer, rabbits,etc. I'm not thinking of myself. I'm think about the whole sport. There is know secret spot. Not since Lewis and Clark LOL. After any opening day things all ways go back to normal anyway. I've rabbit gunned my deer spot in the morning and killed nice bucks in the afternoon. It's all in a persons head.

WW

Ryan, it sounds like you are putting a lot of work into it, and I don't have a problem with anyone making money on work like that. I wish you the best of luck with the project.

I was just pointing out that once a "hot spot" is published, it is no longer a hot spot. The good spots on public land in NJ are good because no one else has found them, or maybe very few people. Printing GPS coordinates will change that. That hot spot will become a warm spot; warm because it hasn't been too long since the last person vacated it and the seat is still warm.

Good luck, and I may buy the guide as well, if for no other reason than to see which of my spots has been outted.

Quick Reply: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.