Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE >

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Default RE: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

I keep 2 game wardens phone # in my cell. I have been haressed by one. Yes, a warden he asked how I, knew about the spot what i was doing there,etc. I told him that i've been hunting this piece of PUBLIC LAND before he was born. Then got his badge #. He settled down and left no more questions. Guys there has got to be other questions about public land other then the boundries. I look at the other posts and see guys complaining about deer drives. I could give you spots that a deer drive would not even think of going near. They don't get big by being stupid. I have hunted waterfowl spots that you can harvest ducks all day long and not see another duck hunter. Even on a Saturday. Give me some ????s. ex: where to shoot a coyote. Only 77 killed last year, good places to trap fox, good spots to take youth hunters, or best spots to run beagles/coonhounds with out crossing on to private land or roads. Think out side the box, thiers more then deer.

Till our trails cross,
WW
ORIGINAL: dragthor

Why I utilize the local tax collector:

- Up-to-date boundaries. Since NJ is a very populated state... I like to know who owns what. This is especially great when non-hunting land owners come up to you and say "Hey, you cannot hunt here. This is private property." Bang...whip out the tax map.

- Combat jerks who post "No Hunting" signs on a WMA. I've been walking around a WMA and come across a "No Hunting" sign even though my map says its WMA land. Bag...whip out the tax map.

- The NJ DEP continually buys/trades/swaps land.

- Access for parking. Just because the WMA map says "Park Here"... I utilize the map to find places that are along side a public road. That way I can park there... and when some guy who owns a house across the street approaches me and says "Hey buddy, you cannot park there"... Bang...whip out the tax map.

- So that I can respond "Oh yeah. Well go ahead and call the police/game warden. My car is parked at X. I'll be out after it gets dark. Have a good day."

- To show the Game Warden and/or Police Officer.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM

I would like to know where you can find wild pheasants?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Mpemt24

I think there is one in Burlington County.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM

When you say wild you must mean native not stocked so here is the answer. In the southern portion of the state tops would be Salem River WMA. NO STAMP NEEDED! In the central portion Greenwood Forest WMA stocked with quail STAMP NEEDED! In the northern portion Berkshire Valley WMA stocked pheasant STAMP NEEDED! I hope this helps. I can't give out all the pheasant information, my partners wouldn't like that. After all the leg work we have done in the past 5+ years. The stamp is $40 and in my opinion well worth the cost. That would buy you 2 pheasants or 4 quail at a game farm. The state in my mind has done great with the stockings. My group has harvested nearly 100+ bird of the 50,000 the state put out. Our harvest has been primarly in the south portion DIX WMA, MAD HORSE WMA, PEASLEE WMA, WINSLOW WMA, AND COLLIERS MILL. That quanity of birds would have cost us over $2000 if we shot that many at a game farm. It cost us less than $200 for our stamps(5 hunters) well worth it. Most all pheasants are stocked birds at one time or another. Next, season give me a call if you would like to gun for a few over my chocolate labs. They were both broke at Meadowview Game farm in Lower Alloways Creek. They have flush a couple of 1000 I'm sure. My buddies use them when I can't. Great dogs for hunting around the meadow/marshes. The state has introduced a hybrid pheasant that adapts to the marsh really well. It more green then a regular ringneck. They really walk through some wet stuff. I mean ducks jump from the same spots. Good to shoot steel shot when you hunt some of these spot. We killed mallards, teal, and woodies along with pheasants in the same hunt.

Till our trails cross,

WW

Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM

I have gotten a few stocked birds. I am looking for places where the pheasants have a native population so there is a better chance that stocking days.
Also, I don't know if this topic would fit, but maybe a section of dog breeders and trainers. Maybe even information on field trials.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:27 PM

This information will be included in the book. Thanks for the feed back we need it. Also, I'm including a photo of me and my stepson. He is leaving for the Coast Guard in a couple of days. Going to Cape May not very far about 45 minutes away from me. I had to go to South Carolina for boot camp.

I have gotten a few stocked birds. I am looking for places where the pheasants have a native population so there is a better chance that stocking days.
Also, I don't know if this topic would fit, but maybe a section of dog breeders and trainers. Maybe even information on field trials.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Glad to provide the feedback. I am sure I will come up with other questions. Tell you step son good luck. If I could do it over again I would join the Coast Guard too. I went to a recruiter when I graduated college and because I was a college grad they wanted me to be an officer, but had to drop to 180 lbs. Furtherest I got was 190. They wanted me to be a bean pole. But great agency.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild Work those Pheasants had to have been stocked and pen raised and not wild. If they are wild then they will vanish soon if you keep shooting hens..[&o] Then again your joining the Coast Guard. Guess it's time to take up fishing.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:13 PM

It's my stepson that is going in the Coast Guard. I was a Marine (combat engineer). I'm the beat up looking fellow on the right. The birds are pen raised, I clean up what the rich guys miss.LOL I guide and trap at a few game farms and they let me clean up the left overs. That's why my labs get good upland training. Plus, I live at the north end of the Delaware Bay where there is plenty of waterfowl to harvest. Need more things you guys would like to see in print. Our deadline to get things together is March 15, 2005. So time is running short. As for the pheasant hens they would rarely get a chance in this area to reproduce. Question: have you every seen a brood of pheasant chicks in NJ. Even with all the stocked birds it's very unlikely. Way to many birds of prey. Which I enjoy video taping and photographing. I go on video a seagull gulpghing down 7 quail chicks one morning. And we wonder why there is none wild. I will be filling out a report to send to the state reporting my findings on the upland birds I've seen.

Till our trails cross,

WW
ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Wild Work those Pheasants had to have been stocked and pen raised and not wild. If they are wild then they will vanish soon if you keep shooting hens..[&o] Then again your joining the Coast Guard. Guess it's time to take up fishing.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild Work, your right about the brood of pheasants, 3 years ago I had many fox run with in range , I always vowed to shoot them but cannot kill something I can't utilize. I went home and mde 2 fox stretchers to be ready for them, since then I haven't had them in range. Although I managed to wack one in the foot with an arrow while still hunting back to my van. Missed judged the yardage.[&o]

Quick Reply: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.