Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Harvest Information >

PA Harvest Information

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Harvest Information

Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Harvest Information

Anyone want to take bets on how the harvest plays out for 2004? The buck harvest should be down - right? The doe harvest too - Right?

I'm guessing 125,000 bucks and 255,000 anterless = 380,000 total - more like the 1980s & 1990s levels - but with the proportions different for antlerless/antlered deer.

I know I'm stirring a hornets Nest - But I don't see where the PGC has done anything other than what they said they were going to do - Here's some historical data that kind of illustrates the harvest over the years - Its like a Runaway Train - I still can't understand how hunters in PA (and several other states like NY) can't see how this trend cannot be perpetuated?

I realize its PGC Data - but you don't fudge numbers like this.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=493&q=159232

Truthfully - (same in NY) - hunters were getting used to seeing - and harvesting these deer numbers.

I'm at a loss when people tell me they were lucky to see one or two deer all season - yet the harvest climbs every year.

In NY - its amazing how many people complain about the number of doe permits issued - and when the state cuts back to "correct the population" everyone says "I told you so - there's too many permits issued and the deer numbers dropped because of it!" Frankly those statements are ignorant and lame.

If you really care- if you really want to know - go to your local (in NY) regional office and ask to see the county data. Both from harvest information, and surveys as well.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Harvest Information

The deer populations are increasing in sw and se PA because of private land closed to public hunting.The deer numbers have decreased by 2/3 on public lands in PA.If the numbers aren't fudged,WMU's with alot of public land will see the lowest harvests they have in a long long time.The butchers,taxidermists,and hunters in these public land areas have already reported.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:13 PM

We saw the harvest with our own eyes, its going to be less than last year. Ain't much to say, another reduced harvest.

Hunters 'supposedly' asked for less deer in pa...

...and they are getting it.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

germain,I'm in 5c and it is terrible in my sector. In the past 3 years my local herd kas went from 30 to 5 deer that visit my yard.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

cardeer,other hunters and the pgc will tell you to move to where the deer are.Yet they want us to keep the herd down where we hunt?Wish they'd make up my mind.
Or they might tell you the deer are up top,back in,or in the valleys,anything but there's no deer.
Some areas are approaching no deer at all within miles.Will these areas ever rebound?Might have to transplant them agan like so many years ago.Speaking of which,the PGC always brings up the times when the state did have to transplant deer back into areas because they got wiped out.Yet they're taking us back to that scenerio again.
If anybody doesn't believe this don't take my word for it,shoot me a PM and I'll give you plenty of places to go see foryourself.The deer sign tells all.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Anyone want to take bets on how the harvest plays out for 2004? The buck harvest should be down - right? The doe harvest too - Right?

I'm guessing 125,000 bucks and 255,000 anterless = 380,000 total - more like the 1980s & 1990s levels - but with the proportions different for antlerless/antlered deer.

I know I'm stirring a hornets Nest - But I don't see where the PGC has done anything other than what they said they were going to do - Here's some historical data that kind of illustrates the harvest over the years - Its like a Runaway Train - I still can't understand how hunters in PA (and several other states like NY) can't see how this trend cannot be perpetuated?

I realize its PGC Data - but you don't fudge numbers like this.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=493&q=159232

Truthfully - (same in NY) - hunters were getting used to seeing - and harvesting these deer numbers.

I'm at a loss when people tell me they were lucky to see one or two deer all season - yet the harvest climbs every year.

In NY - its amazing how many people complain about the number of doe permits issued - and when the state cuts back to "correct the population" everyone says "I told you so - there's too many permits issued and the deer numbers dropped because of it!" Frankly those statements are ignorant and lame.

If you really care- if you really want to know - go to your local (in NY) regional office and ask to see the county data. Both from harvest information, and surveys as well.
Farm Hunter, I remember the PGC data, all kills after 1985 was calculated harvest I guess they counted the number of gun shots they heard the first two days of each season to get their calculation.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:44 AM

"One of those policymakers, Roxane Palone, southwestern Pennsylvania's representative to the state Game Commission, said she was comfortable with the current deer hunting regulations, and that sometimes getting a deer just means moving to a new area."

hehehe...classic

good to see, before the January meeting that people like Commissioner Palone have not quite caught on...

Maybe some people should write her and tell her about thier year.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

What do people do that owns land ??? How do they move the property ?? What a stupid educated dummy statement.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you sell it and move to the SW or SE.
Btw,where will you hunt?99.9% is private land.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:00 PM

The PGC will put numbers out to justify large amounts of doe tag sales.
It all comes down to MONEY, they need it and that is how they will get it.

Quick Reply: PA Harvest Information

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.