HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA Harvest Information
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Harvest Information

Anyone want to take bets on how the harvest plays out for 2004? The buck harvest should be down - right? The doe harvest too - Right?

I'm guessing 125,000 bucks and 255,000 anterless = 380,000 total - more like the 1980s & 1990s levels - but with the proportions different for antlerless/antlered deer.

I know I'm stirring a hornets Nest - But I don't see where the PGC has done anything other than what they said they were going to do - Here's some historical data that kind of illustrates the harvest over the years - Its like a Runaway Train - I still can't understand how hunters in PA (and several other states like NY) can't see how this trend cannot be perpetuated?

I realize its PGC Data - but you don't fudge numbers like this.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=493&q=159232

Truthfully - (same in NY) - hunters were getting used to seeing - and harvesting these deer numbers.

I'm at a loss when people tell me they were lucky to see one or two deer all season - yet the harvest climbs every year.

In NY - its amazing how many people complain about the number of doe permits issued - and when the state cuts back to "correct the population" everyone says "I told you so - there's too many permits issued and the deer numbers dropped because of it!" Frankly those statements are ignorant and lame.

If you really care- if you really want to know - go to your local (in NY) regional office and ask to see the county data. Both from harvest information, and surveys as well.