Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's? >

how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Old 01-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Heck.... I'd just as soon see Maryland go to about 3 years of NO BUCKS, DOES ONLY. Let some grow and get some smarts before you start hunting them. I think it's the only way we'll ever get this thing in balance. Sure we have a large doe bag limit, but who really fills all those tags. Not many. Most people shoot a couple deer and call it quits. A few more might shoot 4-6 and quit. It's not many that will truly try or want to take 30 does. Chop the heck out of the does and let the bucks grow and then put on some ARs. Would be nice.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO if you want to shoot the smaller ones take alone a camera and shoot them with that, after all, again IMO, it's not the kill that makes the hunt, it's the experience .
Old 01-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Jersey Jim you hit the nail on the head. 50 % of the guys on this board disagree with you but 90 % of the guys in the field agree with you. I say those trophy hunters are really anti hunters in disguise. They want to degrade your experience in the woods. They say what is the difference between a doe and a young buck. I say what is the different between a young buck and an older buck. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM

I was always taught that the role of hunters was to harvest the excess population, that it was the role of sportsmen.

NOT to manipulate wildlife for our own bragging rights at work.

Trophy hunters are the shallow end of the hunting gene pool.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:53 PM

just out of curiosity. what is wrong with trophy hunting? is it wrong to only shoot a mature old buck? or if i only have one buck tag should i just go after a small buck? i think the term trophy hunter is used about as loose as the term hunting accident. i myself only go after mature animals and that goes for bucks and does but i eat what i kill so am i classified a trophy hunter? if its a small buck i dont shoot them unless they are a big older buck with small racks cause i dont want them breeding on my farm.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will continue to hunt Pa, I have a camp there, I will do whatever the law provides. if I dont harvest a deer I will still go back the next year, I just like being in the woods and like the experience, getting a deer is just a bonus....
Old 01-08-2005, 07:19 PM

Its no more wrong to shoot a mature buck than it is to shoot a spike, when our role is to take the excess population to control the herd.

But to only seek out a "trophy" because you want to brag over it is, IMO, not the role we as sportsman best serve.

We ( the whole hunting community ) have never put an emphasis on trophy hunting for a reason. We have not farmed whitetails just for the hunter to brag over. It diminishes our role in conservation.

To specifically trophy hunt is mans lesser nature.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:20 PM

The problem with trophy hunting is 1.) when you impose your style onto others through the use of ARs.

Your last statement about not wanting them to breed on your farm: What do you mean? do you mean you don't want small bucks to breed? If so, you should shoot them. If you don't want big bucks to breed on your farm, then WHY? Because they might pass on good genes?

I will pull the trigger on a four pointer as fast as I would on a 10 pointer. I'm not picky. If you are, then that is your God given right in this nation.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Spike

"trophy hunters aren't hunters, hunters hunt for meat"
I have killed 1 buck that met my criteria in the last five years and 24 doe. So what does that make me? I killed one trophy in five years so I guess im a trophy hunter. But I put meat on the table every year so maybe I am a hunter after all that takes an occassional trophy. Think thats possible. I spend a hundred hours in a bow stand each year for the last five years for 1 buck and some guy is goingto try and say that I am not a hunter is bull crap.
Back to the subject of hunting in PA. I live one mile from PA and I work there and from what I see all year round and from the butcher we go to in PA if things keep going the way they are I am going to start hunting there. Its a lot better than in WV. Still not quite as good as OH, but getting there.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: vtbuckrulrss

(Does that mean because I'm from PA I can't respond either?)
YES, THAT'S WHAT IT MEANS, SAID IT THREE TIMES NOW. if you won't hunt down there because of the restrictions and lack of deer sightings compared to what you are used to seeing, or know of someone that won't, this is the place to speak up. sorry, but it really bugs me when you guys take for granted just how good your hunting is, and complain, day, after day, after day about. i bet two days can't go by without a new post being put up, or responded to, about your herd. pa really, really needs there own forum, or to be put into say the midwest, which is where they truly belong.
Pat
Sorry ,vtbuckrulrss I didn't realize you owned this particular post and that PA residence are not allowed to post to it....I'll do my best to moderate your personal post to keep PA residence out.[&:]

One thing I can't argue about with you is, about all the whining from PA hunters on this board and if you take the the time to research it, you've never seen me complain once about my PA hunting, in fact I'm just the opposite and I too am tired of all the PA complaint posts, it's getting ridiculous as far as I'm concerned and at times am embarrassed of how PA hunters are complaining. In that respect, I agree.

However, PA will not and does not need it's own forum. On behalf of HNI, it's unfortunate that PA outnumbers most the country in sheer hunter numbers and by ratio, there are alot on this site but they are part of the NE and I've attempted to lessen the PA redundancy posts by locking and deleting but you won't see me make a post and then say no Vermont residence need or can reply to it because this is an open forum.

that is a load of *******. we arent whining about our state, we aremerely showing our digust with what dr.Alt has created. if you lived here and hunted here and got most of your meat for the year here, you might understand. and how can we brag how good our state is, then whine about it.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

why cant we reply to this post, it didnt say anywhere that Pa residence couldnt reply. you dont own the forums, and we are allowed to put in what we think so just shut ur damn hole and listen to what we say

Quick Reply: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.