Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Another thought for NYS seasons >

Another thought for NYS seasons

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Another thought for NYS seasons

Old 12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Another thought for NYS seasons

I reconize the importance of our off season debate on what will hapen in '05.

However I believe NYS is missing out on revenue, and holding back some possible hunters.

Some may think this controversial, but I do not.

I think NYS should redraw their line on crossbows. Before you jump to a conclusion, let me explain. I am not talking about everyone and their mother being able to go out and hunt with a X-bow. I mean this in realigning their definition of its use.

In other words allowing people with limitations to hunt with them. Currently, you have to be so physically disabled that you can only blow into a tube to release a bolt. That is way to strcit in my view. In experiencing many other states, crossbows were used in a limited fashion, but provided expanded hunting opportunities for those who would not be able to otherwise bowhunt.

Other states require a physical exam, and the doctor to sign a form acknowledging the problem that limits the ability to bowhunt. It is not easy to get this passed, so if your back aches from digging a ditch, you most likely are out of luck. It more aims for those with noted serious back, arm, hip or other forms of injuries .
In those cases I do not feel it gives them an advantage over others enough to warrant a complaint from those who can bowhunt. I understand that their is an advantage in a crossbow, but feel that I would rather have people out hunting that used to bowhunt, but stopped because of limitations. Complaining about getting some extra distance advantage is not a noble thing to do, nor is it something that a hunter should complain about. Any hunter should be happy that a 62/30/25/etc. year old man with a replaced knee/slipped disc/etc. is able to get out there and enjoy the woods more despite having those health issues.

If a hunter feels disadvantaged, think about how that guy feels when it only takes him 15 seconds to get into the store from his car, while it takes the physically limited man that long just to get out of the car.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, good or bad. And let's try to keep this civil and professional.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another thought for NYS seasons

I don't have a problem with Crossbows, they still are a close range weapon. Truthfully, I feel that they are heavier, and more combersome to carry and to shoot than a regular compound bow.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:50 AM

Default RE: Another thought for NYS seasons

I don't have a problem with the cross bow being used by anyone.
I won't use one.........
The biggest problem I have with x bows are easy no CE on the far end
speed is no good if you can't get penatration.
Yes it will shoot bulls at 30 yards but will it have the CE to kill cleanly.