Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pennsy guys

Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Pennsy guys

Hey all,I just moved from Jersey to Reeders PA. My property borders state game lands I'm not sure of the zone but its a big piece of land. It is basicly the back side of the mountian where Camelback ski resort is.Its huge.I have seen quiet a few deer around the house. During the bow season I hardly see anyone hunt it. There have been guys back there during the rifle season.Do any of you guys hunt this area?Or know anyone that does?I hear there are a couple of lakes up there too that I want to check out also to fish.I havent been able to get up and scout it yet .I just got married and with everything that entails I have been pretty busy. I will be scouting throughout the year and hopefully fishing as well. I was just looking to get any info I could so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pennsy guys

Zinc, I can't help you with your area since I have no idea where Reeders, PA is, but welcome to PA. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new home.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:42 AM

Bry Thanks for the welcome, Reeders is just outside of Stroudsburg (just in case you were wondering).

Where is Phoenixville located?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

read some of the many PA posts and you'll come to find out that there are no deer in PA

you'll also get a feel for some of your PA bretheren.

good luck
Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beltzville Lake is near Jim Thorpe and has a lot of nice smallmouth. Stripers, too but I've never caught one out of there.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 AM

Doughboy,Ive read some of the guys are seeing less deer. All I can say is that in Jersey a hunter could literally take 4 does a day from begining of September to mid Feb in certain zones (Thats alot of deer). Some zones have the 3 points on one side rule as well and from my observation the Bucks have never been bigger or healthier.In my zone its called earn a buck where during the bow season you must take a doe first before you can shoot a buck.All I can say it seems there are more deer than ever. I cant comment on the herd in PA except for the area surrounding my house. During the spring and summer I saw a lot of deer. I had a real bruiser 10 point in my back yard on several occasions but in the last month I havent seen a deer. Its like they just vanished.

I do think in PA the plan is to broad. it should be customized more to fit indivdual areas. Like the way it is broken up in Jersey. Many zones have diffrent bag limits and requirements to suit each zones deer population. Thats just my 2 cents.

Oh and youre right I need to hook up with some local guys but I have to tell you it seems these guys up here are pretty hush hush when it comes to thier hunting areas.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:54 PM

Jersey doe not put 800,000 hunters in the woods. So taking plenty of does would not be a problem. Pa ain't Jersey, although it may become more like it as hunters drop out in pa and we get down to 400 or 500k hunters.

Pa just has never been hung up on rack hunting. Our traditions were more along the lines of lots of guys taking bucks, just not real big ones.
Do we need to apologize for not being wannabe rack hunters? I don't think so.

todays hunters in many states are feeling that a deer ins't worth taking unless its a booner, thats the politically correct trend these days. Farming whitetails until they are big enough to hang on the wall.

Bigger burgers, bigger SUV's, Bigger houses, bigger everything and hunting is no different. but just because it is the current fad desn't mean much. As you can see by Pa, when you take away quantity, it has an effect on quality, but that comes with a price. 61,000 hunters have to go with out taking home bucks in order for a 1,000 or so hunters to say they got an eight point instead of a six point. Not all that great in my opinion, but then again I ain't a rack hunter.

welcome to pa, where we follow the fads. No matter what traditions are lost.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:23 PM

Hey!! Welcome to PA.

Not overly familiar with the area so hope this helps your explorations.

The PGC has maps of all the gamelands but the contours don't show the details of the 7.5 minute USGS Topo maps so what looks like an innocent little hill on the PGC maps may show up as a steep climb with no benches on the more detailed USGS maps. I prefer the USGS maps for finding benches, funnels, native trout streams, etc. The PGC does have hard copies available but stopped in the Dallas, PA (Northeast) field office during Grouse season and they'd quit charging for them and didn't have them all, explaining they were in the midst of changing them out for a new type or system.

The PGC maps do show better detail of parking areas and access roads so I'd say take a look at both.

PGC Maps are available at: PGC Game Land Maps

The USGS Maps are available at: Terraserver Maps

Let me know (privately ) if ya find some good grouse spots.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM

If you own enough property to manage the habitat the answer is simple. Cut enough trees to create the thickest cover possible and you will have all the deer you need,or want . If you only own a half acre lot you will jion the ranks of the public land hunters and have to deal with the orange army that is competeing for fewer and fewer deer ,due to Alt's plan..
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 PM

You are probably refering to SGL 38 in WMU 3D. If your house is in the developments that border it, that would explain why you are seeing a lot of deer. They are un-huntable in your neighborhood, but are probably eating quite a few of your and your neighbor's flowers and shrubs. Anyhows, welcome to PA, the land of haves and have-nots.

Quick Reply: Pennsy guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.