Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Hunters FINAL solution! >

PA Hunters FINAL solution!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Hunters FINAL solution!

Old 12-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PA Hunters FINAL solution!

doughboy IMHO Alt is giving all hunters a black eye,many people don't hunt but enjoy watching deer thruy spotlighting,country drives with the kids etc., when they see a sharp down turn in numbers theyattribute that to "greedy hunters,A.K.A. Slobs" killing them off .
take what you can use and let the rest go free. That is an always has been part of FAIR CHASE HUNTING
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ulysses,
That may be the case for non-hunting public where you are, but around here people know I hunt and tell me to shoot all them (blankety blanks). They don't like the deer at all. They drive in constant worry of hitting deer, and several people have hit more than one deer in the past year. The deer come into residential areas and eat expensive landscaping. Believe me a guy that shoots 4-5 deer around here is thanked, not persecuted. The most important thing to understand is that circumstances and views can be VERY different from area to area.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Buck Magnets shoes here. I am fortunate enough to hunt on private ground and routinely see 20-30 deer a day most of the time. We have a doe problem and thanks to state corrections ground around us holding a doe season each year, they help tremendously.

But, I am concerned for the rest of the state that don't have my opportunity. There are a lot of deer being killed out there. I mean a lot! I will definitly not sit here and tell others they aren't good hunters and are not hunting hard enough. Some of the best hunters I know hunt public ground quite successfully. I think thinning the doe population was needed in a vast majority of the state, but not everywhere. I think they need to micromanage the state a lot better than they are.

I agree mostly with what Alt is trying to accomplish, but not entirely. I work at Penn State and I think I might take drive over to the deer research area and talk to some of the bioligists there to get a better feel of what their thoughts are on what is happening. Maybe I'll be enlightened.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the exception of a very few posts muzzyman88 has the best idea I've heard. Talk to a biologist. Most if not all of these guys I've ever talked to are totaly dedicated to wildlife and habitat preservation not some suspect motive by Alt and every other private,state or federal agency. I've probably learned more from these guys than I have in 30+ yrs of actual Deer hunting.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 AM

I work at Penn State and I think I might take drive over to the deer research area and talk to some of the bioligists there to get a better feel of what their thoughts are on what is happening. Maybe I'll be enlightened.
Let us know what they think/say.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

AJ52, I actually have a two motives while I'm there... To see what I can learn from them about the deer themselves and to get their thoughts on what Alt and company are doing. Something tells me they are going to agree mostly with Alt on everything as Alt is a bioligist himself.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Talk to a biologist ?naw I've learned plenty by working my land day in and day out for 60 yrs. Those biologist boys must know more than me about the animals on my land and the habitat to support those animals here. Heck I'm sure they've read all the statistics compiled on deer in Hector Twsp, Potter co. then came out themselves to verify those same statistics maybe even done a fancy pellet count. I must have been in the barn when they visited this twsp. of course all my neighbors must have been in their's too cause none of us ever saw a single biologist set foot in Hector Twsp.
Yahoo Biologist boys Hector twsp is in 3A just drive on up Rt6 to Westpike then turn off on the Ulysses- Lock Mills rd you'll find it easy enough...oops I forgot you've been there with Alt, RIGHT???????
Old 12-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, i guess nobody is right except you. obviously no one has any good input that can help you or even has an alternate view that you can, at least, respect or agree to disagree.

so my question is: Why do you even bother coming to the Board??

oh, that's right - to bash on Alt and his plan (and others on the Forum)

PS - whatever you may think, as AJ stated, most biologist are very knowledgeable and committed to their job and helping wildlife. they may have to work on generallities at times and no, they can't visit everyones farm (I doubt they would want to visit you anyway), but they do their level best to manage the deer herd
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

doughboy I come here for the same reason you do. never claimed those biologist boys don't love thier jobs but I do claim if they are responsible for a WMU then they should be there and at the very least have a look for themselves.
I have yet to hear anyone give a good reason why we went from 29DSM to so few today while the habitat remained the same or IMPROVED in the last 30 yrs in the same area. There is more timbering going on now and the last 5 yrs in 3A than at anytime in the last 30 yrs. when do deer herds prosper the best??? right after timbering ,hmmmmm isn't it odd that Alt says the habitat can't support them now? When one of those biologist boys of yours can give a good answer to that then I'll shut up! Till then you're stuck with my opinions as I'm with yours
This all takes place when the PGC acknowledges over crowding of hunters on public land an pleads with landowners to leave their lands unposted. I can tell you this MOST of 3A is now posted because of this and it is the first year it has EVER BEEN. doesn't that tell you alittle about how the landownerSSSS feel???? It SHOULD!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

muzzyman,

When you talk to those bio guys at Penn State,get a couple to the local pub. Feed em a few brewskees(truth serum). That will bring out the true story.

Quick Reply: PA Hunters FINAL solution!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.