Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 where's the ususal PGC report??????? >

where's the ususal PGC report???????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

where's the ususal PGC report???????

Old 12-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: where's the ususal PGC report???????

I doubt Schmidt will allow Alt to stick his foot in his mouth yet once more as to how the hunters are inept at killing deer.
Better to report on how well the bear season went rather than to repeat once more..."we need to lower deer numbers statewide"
IMHO someone needs to be a pretty big a$$hole to swallow this retoric babble from the PGC website and Alt's whirwind orations
Old 12-07-2004, 06:32 PM

Then what was the press release I posted if it wasn't a preliminary report
A PREliminary report, before the season. That's just what it is. Topic starter is looking for a mid-season report.

All I keep saying is that in the past the PGC has not release such a report. March is when the "success" of our deer season is report on.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I myself really wonder just how many people the PGC thinks they fool with their bogus number adjusting figures?
why don't we have mandatory check stations here in Pa like most good whitetail hunting states? 'cause the PGC won't act on them that's why. why not open overpopulated WMU on one date then 2 weeks later open those WMU that have lowered their deer numbers??? 'cause the PGC won't act on it that's why.
last year and the year prior to it if I am correct the season was only a few days old when the PGC reported "hunters killing record numbers of deer....many nice racks seen at meat proccessors" only to be followed by an offical report weeks/months later that reads hunters set record deer killsbut the herd still needs to be lowered,etc"
plain BS intended to purposely mislead the hunting public!
I took my buck to the taxidermist this past week, on Thursday he told me the number of deer brought in is way down as of Thurs. at 2PM he had only 17 where last year at the same time he had 91 now if that isn't a drop an in a county with less taxidermists then the previous year what is?????????????????????????????????
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 AM

'cause the PGC won't act on them that's why.
Just last week the Governor signed into law the ability for the PGC to have reporting done by phone or internet. It's not the PGC but the Legistlators that control reporting methods.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:38 PM

"Why doesn’t the Game Commission have check stations in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania has had a mandatory deer harvest reporting system in place for decades, but each year, many hunters do not report taking deer, a violation of law. We know compliance would still be a problem even if mandatory check stations were established here, because in states currently using check stations, significant numbers of successful hunters still don’t check or report their harvests. For whatever reason, many hunters fail to report taking deer. That's why the Game Commission calculates hunter reporting rates each year. The information is collected during annual examinations of harvested deer. Even if check stations were started, the Game Commission would still have to collect data at other locations, such as butcher shops, to determine how many hunters weren't going to the checkpoints. Thousands of deer would have to be checked in addition to those processed at check stations to develop an accurate and valid reporting rate. This information, essential for computing annual antlerless deer license allocations, is vital to the deer program. While other states use check stations, their harvest numbers are only those that are reported and they typically do not have any measure of noncompliance, hence they are minimum estimates. Many states also assume that compliance rates are constant from year to year. Based on more than 400,000 records from deer processors over the last 10 years, we have documented that reporting rates vary by year and by antlered and antlerless deer. Finally, check stations would be an expensive proposition, no better than the system in place, and an inconvenience to hunters." <pgc web site
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=465&q=161248

I happen to believe the PGC's deer harvest #'s are as good as any state. Its what they try to spin from those numbers that is sloppy.

T in Pa.....
Have to disagree with you. There are many midseason reports on the PGC website, if you look. They do them all the time.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=157524

and if not in thier own press releases they give the preliminary report info to the press. IE;
"http://www.tnonline.com/archives/sports/2004/01.14/outdoors.html
"Overall, Pennsylvania officials expect a 17 percent drop when final numbers are released in March.
Based on preliminary estimates, he's probably right. The Pennsylvania Game Commission said Tuesday that snow, cold and high winds created a perfect storm for protecting deer and thwarting hunters this season in Pennsylvania " < printed Jan 14, 2004

here is the same report of the 17% drop in another format. state rep Ed Stabacks, web site reported it from "preliminary reports".

they may not put out a specific premliminary report on a specific day, but the PGC routinely puts out a preliminary hunting information to the press and in its own press releases. They are there if you look for them.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Pa could use a call in or / and a online checkin like many states do already. with little costs other than setup fees. NY has had one for awhile now MD is about to go to one. Yet the PGC walks thru deer management with blinders on as they continue to thrust their noses up ward thinking if Pa doesn't do it than it is a waste of time. Yet Pa's deer management is a crime.
someone mentioned on a thread here about guys complaining if they don't see 100 deer a day . Well when I did see 100 deer a day I saw just as many nice bucks as I do now.
I live on a 600 acre+ farm. it is no big deal for me to shoot a deer even a nice buck. Also it is within the realm of the law for me to do it most days of the year. But now after Alt's kill backs I am seeing less an less deer an no hike in bigger bucks. this is land I spend time out on most every day of the year. Yet land Alt has never set foot on. where's the management in that? I'm not alone either ask my neighbors together we own over 3000 acres that till this fall was open unposted to deer hunting. But with Alt's programs in affect it has caused all of us to post against any deer hunting. We'll manage our own land the true LOOSERS in that at the fault of Alt are the hunters that are not allowed on our land anymore and now for the most part must crowd onto already crowded public land or give up hunting deer altogether...where's the logic in that??????????
Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Pa already does have online harvesrt reporting. Its done this year for dmap tags, and next year will be for all doe tags. But it won't be any more accurate than what we have today. Today you can just drop a card postage free in any mailbox, you can't get any easier than that. Logging on a clicking is about the same amount of work.

but its a moot point since we only need a statistical sample in order to derive the harvest numbers as all states do. Even states with check stations do not account for all deer......as my link to the PGC explanation pointed out.

Harvest numbers are not the issue, its what they do with those numbers that causes grief.

Even with online reporting major herd reductions will continue because Penna special interests like conservation groups and big timber want it to.

No online clicks will change that...
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 PM

Chickory,
The first report doesn't have any numbers as to how the harvest is. The second report isn't "in season". It's dated Jan. 14
Old 12-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

the "reports' I refer to are the ones you usually read in the paper as a press release from the PGC,normally issued near the end of the first two days of rifle deer. i.e. as per information gathered at deer processors thruout sample counties hunters are on a path to record deer kill numbers... usually this comes out on Tuesday afternoon of the first week of rifle. followed by another release that goes: though doe tag allocations were increased and record numbers of anterless deer were harvested Dr. Alt says he'll need to increase doe tags thruout the state next year.
what I always found odd about this is how does Alt know what will be killed the remainder of the seasonS? Just proves he wants to eliminate all deer and is making excuses to cover his rear!

NO BACK TAG $ TILL ALT GOES AND THE SYSTEMATIC DEER ELIMINATING IS DROPPED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:41 PM

How many of you guys believe the numbers the PGC puts out?
I sure don't !!!