Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 It Ain't the Lack of Deer >

It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Old 12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It Ain't the Lack of Deer

I was one of the hunters who noticed a lack of deer this rifle season. However, I can't say it's because they are all dead. Between archery and bear season, we saw a ton of deer in our area. On the Saturday and Sunday nights of bear seaon, we saw 13 different bucks and 8 or 10 of them were legal - including four 9-pointers. On opening day I saw 2 small bucks and jumped a couple of does. I'm not sure what gives but the deer definitely changed their patterns and our ladder stands were in the old holt spots. The rut may have drawn a lot of bucks on to our property and they moved on when the resident does were bred. Somethings up but I can't say it's all Alt's fault. It may be in more heavily hunted areas, but where we are the hunting pressure just isn't there.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:55 PM

Default RE: It Ain't the Lack of Deer

yea, the hunters of pa that in the past killed 80% of all the bucks around for decades (thus preventing them from growing up to be wall hangers for wannabes), just suddenly in 2003 forgot how to hunt. 800,000 hunters just aren't looking in the right spot now.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM

chickory,

A majority of the 1-1/2 year old bucks are being saved (something like 85% of the previous buck harvests were 1-1/2 years old). Now, guys are after 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 year old bucks which have been around the block and learned a few things from their first year.

Which is harder to kill, a 1-1/2 year old buck or a 3-1/2 year old buck?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:28 PM

i still think it has a lot to do with the full moon the deer are feeding at night this yr just sucks so far this yr hope with the winter coming into full affect that the nights will have more over cast and we need snow and better cold days
Old 12-06-2004, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

chickory,

A majority of the 1-1/2 year old bucks are being saved (something like 85% of the previous buck harvests were 1-1/2 years old). Now, guys are after 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 year old bucks which have been around the block and learned a few things from their first year.

Which is harder to kill, a 1-1/2 year old buck or a 3-1/2 year old buck?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, thats some classic internet voodoo.

A % of every harvest in pa for 100 year has been older deer. We see pictures of them everyday posted. Biggun shot down in Lancaster county this fall, he weren't too smart. He waddled out of a cornfield in front of a hunter who no problem splinking him. He-he-he you are grasping at straws when you claim that pa hunters just aren't smart enough to shoot deer after we did it for 100 years with zeal.

And by the way there are other states who practice AR and HR and they do not blame thier lowered harvests on bucks just getting smarter, they are smart enough to know they lowered as the herd got smaller (ie:Arkansas).

Talk about folkllore and hype..... people are now going to extraordinary measures these days to try and make excuses for less buck being taken. The moon, the stars, the wind, the bucks are now hiding.

How about the fact, that the Pa deer management plan is to reduce the herd a few % each year until it reaches a habitat friendly level and with less deer there will be less buck seen and harvested. And for your sake I will remind you that no one except you and one or two others has fogotten our harvest stats for the last few seasons.....

203,000 2001
165,000 2002
142,000 2003
13X,000 2004?

....and for the record the doe harvests have dropped accordingly also.

So you can spin some tale of aliens, moon beams, ESP for bucks, but the bottom line is that in the smaller herd there will be smaller harvests. It is no mystery.

Its called "the plan" ..... learn it, live it, looooove it.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats right chickory and it is that simple. Kill more there has to be less.Kill more does, less does to have fawns.Kindergarden math.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I realize that, in heavily hunted areas, deer numbers are way down. What I'm saying is that, even in areas where we were seeing lots of deer a week or two earlier, the deer just seemed to vanish. Private property as well as public. Something was a miss this year.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

My advice would be wait and see until next year to see whose point is the most valid. It may be a banner year next year for all we know. Right now all we are throwing out is theories on why the sightings and shootings have been low. It could have been just one of those off years. Does anyone know what the harvest numbers were from archery and early muzzy and 3 day early rifle season? Don't overlook this. There may have been a great amount of deer taken from the early seasons which in turn would lead to less deer sightings and shootings during the regular rifle season. I know for a fact that in our area there are still plenty of deer left, and I didn't get one this year.

I'm now looking forward and hoping that the fishing in Jersey will be good this year .
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Joe D. your idea of waiting a year and having a look around then is exactly what Alt has been telling us for HOW MANY years now????????? Well we've waited an given him his chance then looked around and don't like what we are seeing.
If you are fortunate to have hunting grounds in a WMU overpopulated then good for you. But don't be narrow minded and listen to all the ALTIES that post here.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not narrow minded by any stretch. Are you one of those guys that doesn't get a deer one year so you figure that the system must have something to do with it? Do you hunt often or was last Monday the first time in the woods this year? I have a friend that hunts strickly traditional bow and has had a shot at a deer at least once a week (that's right, no gun, just a stick with a string and he hunts public land that gets hit hard). I hunt in both 3b and 5c, both private and public and have had no problem seeing deer this year nor last. I don't think my area is managed any different than yours. The only thing that I do agree with is that there are too many doe tags sold.

Quick Reply: It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.