Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Fields or Woods

Old 11-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fields or Woods

Look for the thicker cover and where the other hunters will be pushing the deer from. Thats what I do..... Good luck
Old 11-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fields or Woods

It depends on your terrain.

Farmland is usually broken woodlots. Mine is, and I will be in an 11 acre woodlot. Deer begin to get pushed around, and I hunt the edge cover. When they move from woodlot to woodlot, many times it is not because they are getting shot at, but actually moving in an effort to not get shot at.
Example three woodlots in a row. The right one has a hunter in it, and sees a deer. He shoots. Irregardless of the outcome, the deer in the middle get jumped. The deer in the center lot will move away from the right lot and go to the left one. They are trying to precede getting shot at.
One recent magazine talked about forced exposure lanes. This is when those deer will have to break out into the open, and are exposed getting to another lot.

I try to cut them off here. Not when in the open, but right when they enter the new lot. Deer will always slow down as soon as they get into the lot unless they are physically being threatened close to the entry point. They slow down for several reasons, security (harder to see a deer that is not running), looking for a location to bed, food, etc.

Edge cover is where it is at on gun opener in farmland. Only exception to this would be aiming for a particular large buck that may stay in the woods (Taking into consideration you have patterned him) and try to ambush him as he gets up to feed or pick up any late estrous does. He certainly wont move with gunshots around unless he is kicked.