Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Bears - Who's Going? >

PA Bears - Who's Going?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Bears - Who's Going?

Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Bears - Who's Going?

Who’s going out for Pennsylvania black bears this year? I missed last year while I waited for my daughter’s birth. She’s here now and starting to walk so I think every will be OK while I head up to bear camp. We hunt SGL #13 in the Sullivan/Luzerne/Columbia County area. So far we got one bear up there and missed another one. Anyone else going to be out in 26 days?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Bears - Who's Going?

Nope, not us. We used to but it always turned out the same. We would see lots of bucks and couldn't shoot any and then see no bear at all and hear no shots to indicate there even are any around. Just not enough guys in our neck of the woods to get them moving, too much territory.

I hunted hard for bear for years and finally lost interest, I'm sure there are probably better areas to hunt than we do. Good luck to you and
get a biggun!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

We definitely have a lot of territory to cover (SGL #13 is about 30,000 acres) and not many people hunting it. However, there is always a chance. I look at it as a chance to do some last minute scouting and to also try and bag a coyote. I will bring a varmint call with me. I never thought I would ever see a bear, let alone shoot one, but I got one in 1996. I found out later that another guy got one in the same area about 2 or 3 years prior to me getting mine. Two years after I got mine, I saw another one in the same area but didn't get a shot off. I was relieving myself and had the gun leaning against a tree. A couple minutes later I heard a shot. My wife was out for her first hunt and missed the same bear. So, it is possible. Likely - no way. Possible - yes.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya! If I could get away I would go regardless of my chances. As you said, there is always a chance if your out there. We do have bears in the place we go, it is just very rugged territory and they allude us too well. Alot of rocky outcroppings and blowdowns to hide in. As I said, GET A BIGGUN!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

yea right, with them mountains so steep when I fell and statred to roll I would not stop till I hit philly.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not stop till I hit philly.

and there ain't no bear check stations in Philly.

I'll try to get a biggun. I'll post with directions in case anyone wants to help drag.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:29 PM

my dad and i are goin out on Sgl 69, i don't think anyones every gotten one up there though
Old 11-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I'll be out in Lycoming county between slate run and waterville. We always do pretty good and get at least 1 bear a year with some years harvesting 2 or 3. So far this year we have seen about 12 different bear at camp so hopefully we can fill a few tags.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not gone out for the regular bear season since I was about 13 or 14 years of age. My father took me to Elbow swamp (Pike county?). We saw quite a few deer and hunters but no bear. Last year I bought a bear tag because I was hunting Delaware Forest property in Pike county for the first day of rifle for deer (bear special season in that area). Since I already have a buck and a doe with the bow I am less concerned about saving my days off from work for deer and thus may take off the opening day of bear season. Now I just have to find someone to go with. One of my buddies might need to be coerced.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

PABowhunter - if you want to hunt Sullivan County on opening day, you can hunt at our place. 3000 acres of private that's bordered by about 30,000 of SGL and another several thousand acres of state park. So far there's just me and my dad.

Quick Reply: PA Bears - Who's Going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.