Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Mildest Maine Winter on Record >

Mildest Maine Winter on Record

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mildest Maine Winter on Record

Old 03-11-2002, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Mildest Maine Winter on Record

Very easy in Washington County Maine this year no snow on the ground here for a month. More deer are showing up earlier and in the best shape since i can't remember when. I hope it is a sign that the herd is building back in this area. We have had two or three easy winters in a row and the coyote pop. seems to be thinning out according to the woodsmen I have talked to. Less micromanaging from Augusta would be helpful. Nuture seems to handle things pretty well.

[ phil-d

Phil-D
Old 03-12-2002, 10:26 AM

Phil-D, it's amazing isn't it that good old mother nature seems to be able to take care of things just fine in the absence of Man's all knowing and intrusive wisdom?
The deer are plentiful back home in Waldo County. I see them every day on MDI as well but as you probably know that's National Park area so they become pretty tame there. I work in Bar Harbor and on many occasions have come out to my vehicle and found deer within 20 or 30 feet without a care that I was around. I see them more mornings than not out in the fields on the mainland side of the island. The fields in Trenton too.
The deer are certainly here but I do hope the mild weather will boost their numbers none the less. I think the habitat can handle the greater numbers (especially in areas like yours) and it sure does make life more exciting to see the deer out and about.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I talked to my friends in Unity last week and they are seeing 30-40 deer in the fields too...Thats about 30-40 more than we seen in Nov.... A month to go....
Old 03-13-2002, 07:23 PM

Have hunted and vacationed in Maine for 25 years. Have a place in West Newfield.Have never seen the ground almost snowless in late February and early March.The deer herd in our area took a beating last winter. This is just what the doctor ordered.The deer needed
an easy winter this year.Hopefully they can get through the rest of March with little or no snow.Should make for a decent hunting season
this year.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:39 AM

Archer-I've never really had a "bad" hunting season here in Maine. They have all been enjoyable and I can't remember one in which I didn't at least SEE deer. I do know what you mean though. I hope we all see more than usual and our freezers are filled. This winter (if we can still call it that) will help to make the coming season that much more of a great experience.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:45 PM

Mainehunter-I have always had good hunts in Maine.It is a fall
ritual to hunt up north.We have had great hunting in your state
for the most part.We don't all get deer every year but we enjoy just being out there. What do you think of the increases in hunting
licenses the Fish and Game dept. has asked for?I think the state should fund the some of the departments budget if they are using them for non-wildlife services.They can't expect the hunters and fishermen
to fund the whole dept.and it is not just the non-residents that are getting slammed with higher fees, you residents are getting hit as hard if not harder than the non-residents.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:51 AM

Archer-I'm not really sure of the status of the request to hike up the license fees. I'm a member of the Sportman's Alliance of Maine (SAM) and I know they blasted the department at a public hearing on the issue a few weeks back. The impression I got from the SAM feedback was that it looked like the overwhelming opinion was that the request for the increases was going to be tossed out. I think my latest copy of the SAM newsletter got thrown away but I will let you know the status of that request when I find out.
On the topic of a mild winter, I had to laugh Saturday. My wife spent the last week in Florida visiting her parents. She flew back here Saturday arriving after 8:00 PM. As the plane touched down the pilot told the passengers that for those that came from Florida wearing shorts (as it was 94 degrees there) he wanted to let them know that it was 24 degrees in Bangor! Some of the looks on the faces of those passengers as they left the airport were priceless!
Old 03-18-2002, 11:04 AM

The fee increases were shot down.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:05 PM

Portage-Thanks for the info. They must have gotten the message.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:27 AM

Here's the link to the SAM report on the license fee hike.

http://www.samcef.org/news/article.asp?ID=33

[Rep. Dave Trahan expressed his opinion that it was a mistake to even offer “such a drastic proposal.
It turned people in my district into rabid dogs. I was threatened with tar and feathers,” he reported.]

Now that sounds like some Maine folk using the system properly!!

Edited by - Mainehunter on 03/19/2002 08:33:35