Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Opening Day Buck >

PA Opening Day Buck

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Opening Day Buck

Old 10-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Opening Day Buck

I hunted in Sullivan County PA yesterday and managed a nice buck despite the weather. Rain and fog made for crappy conditions. I was, however, able to get within 15 yards of a nice buck on the ground and connect late in the day. It's a heavy-beamed 6-point with a 17 inch spread, tall tines and main beams that sweep forward. I thought it was a big 8-point at first but I'm in no way disappointed. This was my first archery buck. I had a few does with the bow and many buck with the rifle, but no buck with bow. Now I do and he's going to the taxidermist. Estimated live weight is around 190lb per the chart in the butcher's shop that shows dressed weight vs. live weight.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:32 PM

Default RE: PA Opening Day Buck

Congratulations! Are you hunting anywhere near World's End SP? Have DMAPS for there and am wondering about my chances.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting near Ricketts Glen State Park on Red Rock Mountain. World's End is about 30-40 minutes NW of us. We actually came up from Jim Thorpe on our way up Friday night. Rt. 115 was closed at Blakeslee so we had to get on 80 West.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 AM

Congrats!!!! That first buck is the best.

We need a pic!!!!! Have to have a pic!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

congrates 308 ,
Old 10-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Picture will be posted later this week. I pick up the pictures today after work. I'm really looking forward to getting them, too. I have a couple with my 2 year old son holding the right antler while I hold the left. I didn't get much time to saver the moment. We were entertaining at home (2.5 hours from camp) and had to rush everything. Get stand from woods, pack up, drop deer off at the butchers, drive home, unpack, clean the house and start getting ready. If it were at buck camp, it would be hanging on the pole for a couple of days while the guys and I would re-hash the story while admiring the deer.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your buck!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

SWEET!
Can't wait to see the pics. You say you were on the ground? That is the ultimate bowhunting achievement. Tough to do.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of my archery deer have been from the ground. I usually hang my stand in the woods near a field. The deer always seem to get to the field without coming within bow range. So - I sneak down from my stand, get deep into the woods and come out at the edge of the field closest to where the deer are feeding. Then I just wait for one to feed into range. Granted they have all been does until this one, but they've all been taken while executing Plan B.

Quick Reply: PA Opening Day Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.