Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Check this out.  My Pennsylvania Buck Age Chart. >

Check this out. My Pennsylvania Buck Age Chart.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Check this out. My Pennsylvania Buck Age Chart.

Old 03-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Check this out. My Pennsylvania Buck Age Chart.

Beautiful deer!!!

In the lower MI. farmland area I came from, or for that matter, the entire southern 1/2 of the lower peninsula, the avg. yearling is a 7 point-a little basket rack.

I've seen many basket racked 6-8 points in the northern portion of PA, which isn't even that great for habitat.

But in norther MI where I live, the avg. 1.5 year old has 3 points, although they outweigh there southern cousins, and are 4" taller on avg. With 5 acres of quality food plots, and quality mineral stations(less than 50% salt), my property had a 5, 6 or 7, and 7 point yearlings on it this last year. It takes unbelievably bad genes, or poor birth timing, to make a yearling have less than 4 or 5 points, if great habitat and minerals are readily available. If the food and minerals are acattered, and in areas that allow for secluded, undisturbed, daytime feeding, than yearling spikes and 3 points should be virtually non-existant.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2002, 10:33 AM

Where I hunt in MD, the average 1.5yr old is about 110lbs and 5 pts. My club kills a couple every year that are 8 and 10pts 1.5yrs. Most are little 5,6,7's, but every now and then someone shoots a beautiful little 10. Damn shame, a 10pt yearling would be a hoss at 6.5!
Where I hunt in the pines of NJ, a 1.5yr old is a spike, or a nub, about 55-60lbs. Big difference.
I'd agree, that 5.5 didn't have any special genetics, I'd say the 1.5 would have dwarfed him at the same age.
Thanks BM.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:10 AM

I have seen several deer that would have a live weight of around 270 or better and yes they were in Indiana County.

ARO, there was an article in the Pennsylvania Game New magazine awhile back that talked about one game commissioner finding a huge buck on the side of the road. It was an 8 point with a 16 inch spread and had a live weight of somewhere around 220 lbs. The amazing thing was that it was only 1.5 years old. That is no joke either. Most of the yearling deer around here are little basket rack 8 points.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Part of the problem with that aging thing is that it is very common for a somewhat experienced game department official to estimate the wrong age. The cementum anylisis is the only method to determine at a 99.9% probability, especially as the buck gets older. To be off by one year on a older buck is pretty common.

I guess I'm a pretty skepticle when something is so far outside the norm.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2002, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Archer,

I have my own thoughts, but how much do you think my buck weighed this year? I cut him up myself, didn't weigh him, but the de-boned meat weighed 62#'s. My PA buck weighed 96#'s, and I only got 32 pounds of de-boned meat.

Just guessing, I thought my MI buck probably went 140-150 dressed. Does this seem realistic for 62#'s of de-boned meat? Had a bruise on my shoulder for 2 weeks after dragging that one, I could only go about 20 yards at a time(I am a wimp though).

Whenever I hear of a guy dragging a 200 pounder out of the woods by himself, he's either a lyer, or one tough SOB.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-01-2002, 01:40 PM

Jeff,

If there was snow on the ground, I could drag a 200 pounder easy. Without snow, especially if the ground is muddy, 100 pounds becomes a chore.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:42 PM

The bottom right hand deer from my sig pic had a live weight of 240 lbs. That was measured on a scale at a recycling plant near my house, my grandfather is good friends with one of the guys that runs the place so he allows us to bring in deer to weigh them. The one in the bottom right had corner weight 215 lbs live weight. It took four of us to move those deer.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-02-2002, 11:46 AM
ARO

i would probably say that our average weight for a rack buck, is between 130 and 150 FD here in the eastern shore of maryland. i killed one a couple years ago that weighed 190 field dressed, and last year a friend of mine killed one 180 field dressed. i guess it would matter when it was killed two. before the rut and they do all that runiing around they are heavier, after the rut they have lost alot of weight.

ARO

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...hanesmith.html

Quick Reply: Check this out. My Pennsylvania Buck Age Chart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.