Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Dr Alt Meetings....... >

Dr Alt Meetings.......

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dr Alt Meetings.......

Old 01-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dr Alt Meetings.......

It amazes me that you can find fault no matter what Alt does. First you say he doesn't listen then when he does you attempt to minimize its significance. Seems like its more of a case of a few Alt haters never being happy than the Altites, Altaholics etc. being star struck. I cant think of one of the "Altites" here who hasn't pointed out parts of Alt's ideas that they weren't fond of. It seems everyone is for smaller DMU's (we all seem to agree on that) But, it also is beginning to look like most of the Alt haters are from the "aint enough deer anymore" camp.

BTW what buyoff?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:52 AM

I think they are dropping like the archers asked. They have something else that they think will knock the numbers down as well. I think it is called the crossbow.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:41 PM

The smallest management unit in place is the county and that is for does only. Only one county is at goal and none are below goal.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:45 PM

yep...and not everybody agrees to those "goals" from the git-go. You can keep those numbers Mark.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not crazy about crossbows in archery season, but if we gotta have guns in the October deer woods I would rather it be the "crossgun" and since WE as bowhunters aren't killing that many does in the early season, I dunno maybe we earned it. I could live with crossbows if the guns were held where they are now and we get AR and a male deer tag.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:07 PM

If I hear one more person repeat the bs that we as bowhunters didn't kill enough doe blah blah blah, I think I'm gonna puke. You talk about being programmed. I personally do not know anyone who doesn't shoot doe in archery season if they get the opportunity and I suspect that carries through for a high percentage statewide. This mantra that some of you have accepted and repeat like some pet store parrot that we archers didn't do our job on doe is just plain stupid in addition to being wrong.

You have bought into this Alt baloney to the point that you "understand" the need to bring guns into the archery season and now we have an admission from one of our resident experts that crossguns would be better than other guns. "Please, Dr. Alt, do whatever you want. [I think you fall prostrate, here.]

What a pathetic state of affairs the Pa. hunting community is in. I just wish I had a nice private preserve to withdraw to and hunt on, and let all the Altites hold hands and recite bogus PGC herd/kill figures to each other until glassy-eyed. But I don't have such a place. Blah!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Host of Hosts

Thanks for all the replies, but again it turns into a fight among members. The guy (Alt) has had 2 1/2 - 3 years to make changes, he never said they would all work,but did say he was dedicated to being the best. Quit b itchin on here and go to a meeting and ask questions and pay attention.

Another thing, Pa is a very big state with alot of different elements to manage. Not all units can be managed the same way (on this I agree) but still none of you have come up with the solution to the problem. Just your opinions.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's just plain stupid is to continue to rant ad nauseum about the Altites without offering any solution. It's just plain stupid to scream that the PGC numbers are false without facts to back it up! They may not be perfect but, sorry, screaming BLAH! just doesn't refute them!
I'm beginning to feel the same way I feel when I try to argue facts with a PETA type.
Tough to overcome strong emotions no matter what the facts are!
If you still can't understand why it is better for the health of any species to let only the best individuals breed there is no hope you will ever understand any part of whats going on here.

Fight4, please accept my apologies for getting "into the fray" on your thread. Its very difficult, when someone throws the gloves onto the ice and starts swinging, to not do the same. It's great that we all care so much about our sport but terrible we have to attack to get our point across!

Edited by - BTBOWHUNTER on 01/07/2002 16:50:29
Old 01-07-2002, 03:58 PM

Bt what part of Alt's planSSS "lets only the best individules breed"??? He has no plan to crop inferior does or bucks for that matter. Kill any doe or let a nice buck breed any doe isn't gunna get it done. Not to mention button bucks.
mark ..just 1 county has met it's goals. Whom set the goals? Whom is it that is providing the "facts" you read? Whom accepts county lines as deer units other than the PGC?
What will it take for some of you guys to wake up and snap out of this spell Alt has cast over you? Give him 2-3 yrs and what? We had pretty good deer hunting in Pa since the 40's. when will you begin to realize it isn't about quality deer it is about lowering numbers. That is the job Alt was given by the PGC lower numbers and get hunters to think we're doing it for their own good.
I will say he is smart enough to get crossbows in, and already some of you whom preached a holier than thou sermon about them are beginning to welcome them.Shrewd guy this Alt, just not a deer manager.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok Ledgen, I had vowed to myself that I would not respond to you again but I will try to answer just one more time and hope it doesn't get you to ranting . If there are fewer does when the rut comes in, only the dominant bucks will get to breed those left. No, I don't , and I suspect Alt doesn't, have a way to weed out inferior does. Natural selection (remember that Darwin guy?) isn't a perfect method but it has worked well over time! We as Pa deer hunters have been short circuting that natural selection somewhat.
As for crossbows, I don't like em in early archery season but am willing to be open minded about their value to cull the does before the rut. But I suspect you don't really support crossbows as much as you love controversy.
By the way, the crossbow reference on the thread where I told the board how proud I was of my kid ( and I'm damn proud of that kid) was absolutely the cheapest of shots. I'm glad he didn't catch your real message.

Quick Reply: Dr Alt Meetings.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.