Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How many Pa hunters are pleased? >

How many Pa hunters are pleased?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How many Pa hunters are pleased?

Old 05-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many Pa hunters are pleased?

ORIGINAL: J Pike

but Do know that MI. Manages there OW. herd at 29.6 DPSM.
The Michigan DNR has a stated goal of 1.3 million deer. The State of Michigan is 56,800 square miles in size. That equates to a density of just under 23 deer per square mile.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:51 PM

Now that is really funny. Why would you even consider posting something that can be so easily refuted?

Michigan has a total of 58,000 square miles, 45,000 of which is suitable deer habitat. It has been estimated that the maximum carrying capacity is around 2.2 million deer or 48.9 deer per square mile. The desired population goal as stated by the DNR is 1.3 million. This is 60% of the carrying capacity or 28.9 deer per square mile. This 60% goal is a proper goal. Many studies have shown that this population density will produce the maximum sustained yield, while at the same time insure deer health and the habitat, with normal maintenance continuous forage productivity.
That quote is from an article by ED Spiazzola , Pres. Mid Mich. Branch QDMA. Are you calling Ed a liar , or are you trying to deceive the hunters in PA ?

Then we have the more up to date information directy from the MI DNR

LANSING -- Michigan's high deer population wasn't helped by last year's hunting season, when officials estimate fewer deer were killed than in previous years.
The state deer herd was about 10 percent higher, or 325,000 deer larger, than allowed under state guidelines in 2001, the Office of the Auditor General said in a report released Monday.
The state's target for deer is 1.5 million, but the Department of Natural Resources estimates there are about 1.8 million deer in Michigan, department spokesman Brad Wurfel said.
If we divide 1.5M by 45K SM of suitable habitat ,the goal is now 33 DPSM. PS deer in MI ,compared to the PA goal of 19 PS DPSM.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:39 PM

The bottom line, as I see it, DD posts a figure, you insult him, calling him a liar, yet you choose not to refute his figures.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 PM

You Pa guys crack me up.................................
Old 05-11-2004, 04:41 AM

Hey, so why don't you tell Shane74 where he can go to kill prarie dogs, if you're so knowledgeable? Stay out of our politics,we'll stay out of yours!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Will you be pleased when the buck harvest drops to 2 buck PSM or 80K buck /year? That will be the harvest rate if we reach the goal of 13 DPSM.
Realistically, I do not think this could ever happen in my neck of the woods because the lack of hunting access on private land. It would be sad if it did. I guess I would take up squirrel hunting...

Well, don't think it can't happen because it did happen just across the river from you. In my area of NJ, we have had AR and liberal doe harvests in place for about 5 years. We now harvest at or less than 2 bucks per square mile, and very few big bucks in those area's. In fact, the deer numbers are very low, yet the State hasn't changed the limit: it's still unlimited doe. Some people think that NJ has some huge deer overpopulation problem, and that may be true in some areas, but it's not true everywhere. Last year, in just seven days in Ohio, I saw only 2 or 3 fewer bucks than I did in 4 months of hunting in NJ. Those squirrels were looking mighty good.

By contrats, DMZ's adjacent to these that have shorter season lenghts, and no AR's still produce many big bucks in NJ, and have been producing some very big bucks recently. Take those stats for what they are worth, but don't think it can't happen. After hunting under such regs for several years now, I am not so enthusiastic about them any longer. Many professionals in the field have admitted that AR's like those enacted in Pa are unproven, and in fact recent studies prove they are damaging to the herd in the long run. It seems like Gary Alt may be about 5 years or so behind the curve on antler restrictions.

P.S. a demonstration of your accuracy with a bow, such as plinking a starling out of a tree at 10 yards, (which should be do-able, at ten yards any reasonable bow should shoot a starling; 2 inch-sized target)., usually persuades the landowner that you can in fact humanely and quite permanetly remove part of his deer problem.
How did that starling taste??
Old 05-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's happened in one of the counties where I hunt also.I love it when people support Alt but would never take their herds down to the densities Alt wants them to.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:43 PM

So why do they support him? If they don't believe Alt's serious about the deer density goals, how can they believe that any of the other stuff he spouts is true?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

you know how many people get mad when they don't see any deer the first 150 yds they go into the woods and say "damn that alt" and they never go any farther in....get into the woods and work a little harder to find your deer and enjoy the time in the woods....rather then complaining that there are no deer or you don't see any deer....all you people fall into the catogory of roadside hunters and it makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!....and i hear you same people trying to get people to boycot doe tags....go ahead and do that....that will mean i will definently get my tags next year....as to not seeing any deer i have no problem doing so....and i hunt the game lands....and brought home 4 last year between n.y. and pa..........................................bob
Old 05-14-2004, 03:48 PM

all you people fall into the catogory of roadside hunters and it makes me sick!!!!!!!!!

People that make sweeping ,unfounded statements like that make me sick. You have no idea how hard any hunter on these boards hunts or what the deer density is in the area where they hunt. If they hunt in 2G the max. number of buck that can be harvested is 2 buck PSM. If someone harvests one of them during archery, than there is only 1 buck PSM that can be harvested during rifle season and that makes for hard hunting no matter how far you walk.

PA hunters are not lazy and inept as Alt claims. We harvested 85-95% of the buck that were carried over last year and we routinely harvest 33% of the preseason herd. The buck harvest didn't decline from 203K in 2001 to 142K in 2003 because the hunters didn't hunt hard enough, the harvest declined because of AR and the fact that we shot 77K BB in 2002.

Quick Reply: How many Pa hunters are pleased?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.