Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA After Christmas Hunt >

PA After Christmas Hunt

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA After Christmas Hunt

Old 12-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default PA After Christmas Hunt

Anybody else looking forward to the after Christmas muzzleloader and archery hunt? I do every season. The late season hunt seems to stand in stark contrast to the hectic and crowded woods typically found during small game and rifle season in my area. The deer are travelling in new patterns...there is normally snow on the ground...and it takes a bit more effort to stay out there in typically freezing temperatures.....plus I have the week off between Christmas and New Years.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA After Christmas Hunt

If I or my wife don't fill at least one tag on Saturday I'll be donning the smokepole and covering alot of ground after X-mas. Even if the wife gets a deer I will probably go out a few times. It's very hard for me to give up a day on the ice for another deer though.....my two passions are bowhunting and ice fishing!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really enjoy it as much , I still go out daily but all the smackoffs around here just run the deer all day and you cant stand hunt , and it sucks still hunting with a bow , and muzzleloaders are not that great with me , i get ajitated with them not firing when i pull the trigger, but i will be out anyhow with smokepole in hand.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM

I will be out there also. It is the only time that I can hunt at home, going across the country for school. I love late archery. Will probably spend a lot of time still hunting.

Can I shoot a doe with my buck tag durring this late season?? Someone here said I could, that it was in the handbook?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM

I enjoy hunting the 2nd season. Never shot a 2nd season deer, but see them. Come on snow!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM

i'll probably go out for late archery , i still have my buck tag ,already have a doe in the freezer, as long as it's not 20 below zero i'll be out there !
Old 12-10-2003, 09:53 PM

I love hunting the day after Christmas. Winter archery season is a little tougher hunting with colder conditions and ice on trees. The deer herd-up so you have to change your tactics a little. Food sources and bedding areas change. I tend to hunt the sunny side for warmth and deer seem to use it also. I hunt a little higher in the tree and look for stands with multi trees together for consealment. No leaves for back cover and they pick you better. The key to enjoying it more is keepping your feet, hands and neck warm. Good WOOL socks and good boots. I give up my Lacrosse rubber boots for good leather boots. I have a hand muff with two hand warmers I can put both hands in and my hands stay like toast. I also wear a wool turtle neck and a hood for cold winds. One thing is it seperates the men from the boys. LOL Jerry
Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tabby--you can kill a buck or doe with your state tag ONLY if you're using a muzzleloader.If you're bowhunting,you have to a WMU-specific tag to kill a doe.

I'll be out with the flinter.As much as I love bowhunting,I really enjoy the late ML season.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:15 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Jim. I wonder why that is? O-well. I guess I will have to hunt extra hard to get a buck with 4 points on a side. I hear there are plently around.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the late season is great in that there still is the odd chance that you may get to nail one of those big boys that made it through early archery and rifle. He needs food and warmth just like the rest.....at least that is what I tell myself each year.

I agree with Jerry in that the key is to dress warmly so you can stay on stand as long as possible. If you are in an area with plenty of deer sign late in the season then chances are good you are going to run into them at some point during the day.....though they could be traveling before first light because of previous hunting pressure.

I still love it almost as much as the early season.

Quick Reply: PA After Christmas Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.