Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.J Blackpowder

Old 11-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: N.J Blackpowder

The shooting of buttons has gotten out of hand especially during the Jan slaughter " permit" season up in Zone 2. I would estimate that a good percentage of the deer taken in Jan are buttons or shed bucks. We have guys in our club that consistently shoot buttons and have even been surprised to see that their " doe" has 2 large holes on its' head.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:07 AM

thats a no brainer, Alloway. You' ll think your in kansas.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is sad to see the buttons shot. Why don' t you just use binoculars and look before you shoot. I could of made a mistake in bow season and shot a button buck but with my binoculars I saw it had two bumps on its head so no shot.

Take a look before pulling the trigger PLEASE

Brian
Old 12-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Bow...How ya been? I just got back from Maine on 11-30 so no smokepole for me until after the 13th. I'll be out for buck season. Let me know when you'll be up. Maybe we could meet for chow or coffee.

Take care
JJ
Old 12-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

WELL I WAS OUT FOR THE OPENER FOR MUZZLELOADER, I SAW 4 DEER AND GOT MYSELF A NICE DOE, DRESSED OUT AT 110lbs.

MY OTHER FRIEND SAW ABOUT 8 DEER WITH NO SHOTS.

AND HERES THE KICKER!!! MY OTHER FRIEND SAW 10 DEER, MISSED 4 TIMES AT 3 DIFFERENT DOES, AND A NICE 8 POINTER, HE RUFUSES TO SIGHT HIS GUN IN, HE IS VERY CHEAP. LAST YEAR HE MISSED AT A DOE, AND HUGE 8 POINTER. THEN COMPLAINES ITS THE GUN, ITS THE SCOPE, ITS THE BULLETS. I SAY ITS THE SHOOTER!!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

a box of 100 muzzeloader balls are less than 10$ tell your buddy that you will site the gun in for him or he should stay out of the woods. did he get down from his stand and look for the deer he shot at? if he is using patch round ball its possible for even a pass through shot to have no signs of blood for 70 yards. because the wound can close up. i heard of a guy who shot at deer all day long and thought he kept missing only to find a couple piled up in the wood line across the field he was shooting across. some people hunt and some are hunters.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

HE GOT DOWN AND LOOKED, THAT I KNOW HE DID. HE SHOOTS THE SAME GUN, SAME LOAD, SAME BULLET, EVEN SAME SCOPE. KNIGHT .50 CAL, 2 PELLETS OF 50gr. PYODEX, WITH A 250gr. KNIGHT/BARNES RED HOT SABOT, NIKON BUCKMASTER 3-9x40. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT HE SHOULDN'T BE IN THE WOODS, IF HE ACTS THIS WAY. AS FAR AS SIGHTING THE GUN IN, I OFFERED MANY TIMES TO DO IT FOR HIM. EARLY NOVEMBER I WENT TO THE RANGE TOOK MY SMOKEPOLE, MY NEW SHOTGUN, AND MY OTHER SHOTGUN THAT SLIPPED AND LANDED ON THE SCOPE LAST YEAR, MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL SHOOTING STRAIGHT. HE CAME WITH ME, BUT REFUSED TO BRING HIS GUN. I HARVESTED A DEER DURING THE BOW SEASON, AND STILL HAVE PLENTY OF MEAT, I ASKED HIM IF HE WANTED THE DOE I GOT WITH THE SMOKEPOLE, HE SAID HE WOULD TAKE IT IF I PAY FOR THE BUTCHERING, NOW THATS CHEAP!!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:38 AM

Thats a shame ...you offer the guy your spoils and he wants you to pay to butcher it ? Some friend ......
Old 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Yahoo!!! Got my 1st buck with the smokepole on Monday afternoon, a 7 pointer. not huge but a decent size set of bones and a very stocky and healthy buck I got him at 4:15 when he came out of a cedar thicket and down the hedgerow where I was sitting in my ladder stand. A 50 yard shot, quartering towards me. Bullet entered in front of the right shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder. After I shot, he took off and I seen him losing altitude real fast. By the time he reached the next hedge row 40 yards away, he was plowing the ground with his chest. He went thru that hedgerow and I seen him hit the ground and flip over. That was it!!! I seen 8 other bucks that day!!! I seen 5 of them during the morning and all were too far to shoot and 3 together with 6 does that my buddy pushed up to me on a 1 man push in the afternoon, they were only 50 yrds. away but running. There sure are alot of bucks around for next week. Hey Jerseyjoe, I'll be up there all week. How long are you there for? If you're there all week, we could meet at the Forge & Anvil for lunch on like Wed. or Thurs. Let me know. How'd ya make out in Maine?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

We had a great day in ZOne 2 on Monday. We tagged 4 bucks out of 4 hunters. The bucks were still in rut and chasing does all day. I took a nice 7pt that came out of the cedars with a spike to some scent that I put out. I took him at 50 yards as he quartered away. He went down like a ton of bricks.

Looking forward to Monday!

Bob

Quick Reply: N.J Blackpowder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.