Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland = No Rut >

Maryland = No Rut

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland = No Rut

Old 11-22-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Maryland = No Rut

I made it out to my hunting ground again this weekend and I was surprised at what I saw. Unlike last weekend, the rut seems to have come to a screetching halt. Last week, the bucks had their nose to the ground and were chasing every doe in sight. Today, we saw a herd of about 14 which included a 4 point, a 6 point, and an 8 point. It' s pretty obvious that the rut is either over or it' s been put on hold. Very few rubs, hardly any scrapes, etc. Actually, there have been a lack of scrapes, period so far this fall.
Maybe the warm weather this week suppressed the rut and they' ll resume when things cool back down... Has anyone else seen something similar in the mid-Atlantic region? What do you all think?
Old 11-22-2003, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Maryland = No Rut

The heat has slowed them down. Once the cold front comes through around tuesday, it' ll pick up again. At least I hope so. Its been quiet here in DE.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:45 PM

I am having the same problem here. I was wondering if i missed the rut this year. i skipped two days hunting and i figured the rut must have been those two days! seriously, i dont know what happened. I live in Westminster and I havent seen much. I called in two deer this year I have another post going asking other guys what they are seeing in md. Another guy swears its on. I think it fizzled away already. Last year seemed so much stronger but maybe i' m nuts.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out on Friday morning and many of the does I saw had bucks with them. The scrapes here aren' t being hit because the bucks have does already. I don' t expect it to last much longer though.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:04 AM

Hi all,
Thanks for the replys. I just got back from hunting Dorchester (I live in Iceland). I hunted 8 days, saw some scrapings and heard a Sika buck bugle, but the deer I saw were mostly yearlings, I managed though to sneek at a nice buck stillhunt in the rain. Deer came out very late in afternoon (around 5.30-6.00). Not much to feed on in fields, evrybody was saying the same thing, deer came out late, probably because of full moon. Lacking big does and bucks.
Heidar
www.lax.is/pointer.htm