Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGC Big Game Records Book >

PGC Big Game Records Book

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Big Game Records Book

Old 02-01-2024, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default PGC Big Game Records Book

I shot a nice symmetrical eight point buck back in Oct '23 that my taxidermist green scored at 129 0/8 gross. The minimum score for the Game Commission's record book for a typical archery whitetail is 115 0/8 net. I used the B&C spreadsheet to score them myself after the 60 day drying period and came up with 125 3/8 net. I've been trying to get it officially scored by the PGC since mid December but so far no luck. It would also qualify for P&Y (125 0/8 min net) except for the fact that they won't accept crossbow kills so my only real option is the PGC book.

The first thing I did was to email Bob D'Angelo who is in charge of the PGC book. He has given me the names and email addresses of two different Game Wardens who are official scorers but so far neither of them have responded to my emails. I understand that they are probably still swamped with work right now but it would be nice if they could at least acknowledge that they received my messages or give me some idea of when they might be available. Has anyone else ever tried this? I guess if you want to drive that far you can also take antlers to the PGC booth at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg to have them scored...

BTW, the shed in the photo is one that I found in Nov '21. I don't know if it is from the same deer but it sure looks similar. I found it about 1/2 mile from where I shot the buck last fall.
Attached Thumbnails PGC Big Game Records Book-img_7829.jpg   PGC Big Game Records Book-img_8033.jpg  
Old 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Usually I PGC has a measuring session at one or two regional offices each year. What county do you live in? When I was sill working people would bring their deer racks and bear skulls to the HBG Headquarters to be measured. Give it a few more days to se if the officers call you back.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-01-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I'm in Clearfield County.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK I know a guy in Lebanon Co who probably would have done your measurments for you but you ae too far away. If you don't hear anything soon call Bob back in HBG.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

NICE PA buck!
Old 02-27-2024, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
OK I know a guy in Lebanon Co who probably would have done your measurments for you but you ae too far away. If you don't hear anything soon call Bob back in HBG.
Is your guy an official PGC scorer? Bob told me there is a scoring session at the NE Region Office in Dallas, PA on March 2nd. Only problem is that's 180 miles and about a 3-1/2 hour drive from me. I normally wouldn't even consider that but my taxidermist already has the cape back from tanning and I don't want to hold him up either.
Bob also gave me the name of a scorer in Jersey Shore which is a little closer. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he said he was trying to organize a scoring session there but I haven't heard anything further from him yet either.
At this point I'm trying to decide if I should just give the rack back to the taxidermist and try again to get it scored after it has been mounted.
Decisions, decisions. LOL
Old 02-27-2024, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
NICE PA buck!
Thank you!
Old 02-27-2024, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Is your guy an official PGC scorer? Bob told me there is a scoring session at the NE Region Office in Dallas, PA on March 2nd. Only problem is that's 180 miles and about a 3-1/2 hour drive from me. I normally wouldn't even consider that but my taxidermist already has the cape back from tanning and I don't want to hold him up either.
Bob also gave me the name of a scorer in Jersey Shore which is a little closer. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he said he was trying to organize a scoring session there but I haven't heard anything further from him yet either.
At this point I'm trying to decide if I should just give the rack back to the taxidermist and try again to get it scored after it has been mounted.
Decisions, decisions. LOL
Yes he is, he is a retired director of the informatiom education division.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Yes he is, he is a retired director of the informatiom education division.

Good news!

After my last post I went out this morning to check trail cameras and look for sheds. No luck on the shed hunting but I did get a video of a decent basket racked eight point.

I assume this is just a coincidence but not long after I got back to the house I received a call from the first warden that I had tried to contact back in early Dec. He is in Blair County.

He said he didn't think he ever got my first email and that he had been contacted about it just recently by the second warden that I tried.

Anyway, we have a scoring session scheduled for March 6th in Huntington which is only about a 60 mile drive.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Good news!

After my last post I went out this morning to check trail cameras and look for sheds. No luck on the shed hunting but I did get a video of a decent basket racked eight point.

I assume this is just a coincidence but not long after I got back to the house I received a call from the first warden that I had tried to contact back in early Dec. He is in Blair County.

He said he didn't think he ever got my first email and that he had been contacted about it just recently by the second warden that I tried.

Anyway, we have a scoring session scheduled for March 6th in Huntington which is only about a 60 mile drive.
Great, let us know what it measures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.